The Senior Accountant reports to the Corporate Controller and works closely with finance and accounting staff and a variety of other departments. Responsibilities include, supporting the HQ and Corporate Controller in carrying out the responsibilities of the Finance / Accounting Department. To relieve the HQ and Corporate Controller of certain responsibilities that will allow them to spend a greater portion of their time on financial statement preparation and analysis, budget and variance issues, forecasting, and strategic initiatives. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Assist with special projects assigned by management.
Skills, Knowledge & Responsibilities:
- Assist HR in administering and maintaining compliance of the corporate wide 401K benefit plans.
- Manages the accounting processes and establishes procedures for Sealaska’s self-insurance health coverage plan.
- Make specific recommendations to result in cost reduction and profit improvement.
- Support corporate wide insurance programs working closely with Broker and subsidiary staff.
- May provide supervision and support of A/P, G/L, Payroll, banking and shareholder related functions.
- Under the direction of the Corporate & HQ Controller provide support in accomplishing implementation of Finance Department Key Initiatives including Lean.
- Implement key accounting and administrative processes to improve efficiency, accuracy and internal controls.
- Prepare work papers and various reports for internal and external audits.
- Facilitate and complete monthly close and account reconciliation procedures for A/P, G/L, and Payroll.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates accounting staff as required
- Performs similar job related duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to prepare and interpret financial data, statements, and reports.
- Skill in communicating financial information to non-financial managers, both orally and in writing.
- Managerial skills - leading, planning, organizing, controlling, and administrating.
- Ability to maintain effective working relations with management and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- Ten years’ experience in accounting and finance field including four years supervisory experience.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough understanding of all accounting functional areas.
- Experience with Oracle Financials.
- Knowledge of Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of Government Contracting, FAR regulations, DCAA, cost plus and fixed price contracting.
- Experience with Job Cost and Contract Project Costing.
- International transactions experience also a plus.
- Deltek CostPoint.
Sealaska Corporation - 19 months ago