Are you ready to help create the systems that power one of the largest e-commerce companies in the world? Amazon.com is a $50 billion retail powerhouse with millions of customers all over the world who trust our fulfillment centers to deliver the right package to the right place at the right time. Our success depends on our world class supply chain and logistics systems; we’re handling massive scale, growing 40% per year and rapidly integrating emergent technologies and green packaging initiatives. The Fulfillment Center Software team is responsible for delivering the software that powers Amazon’s outbound supply chain. We are seeking a super star Software Development Manager to join our Team!
As the development manager, you will have technical ownership of critical parts of the Outbound Fulfillment Experience. You'll lead a talented and nimble team of engineers to create innovative ways to streamline customer delivery and minimize variable cost per unit. Responsibilities include direct management of 6+ engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The xxx business requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about solving the toughest software challenges; you’ll be excited by working at huge scales, and you’ll have a proven record of delivering highly operable and maintainable software projects on time. You’ll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to make the systems you own better. You’ll be intensely customer focused: you understand your customers’ challenges and are constantly looking for ways to solve them. You have great communication skills, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
You must be able to:
- Interact with Project Sponsors, Project Stakeholders and multiple business and technical teams to define and deliver complex features.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Plan and manage multiple parallel projects.
- Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders.
- Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities.
- Be the glue that is able to understand, plan, and manage the cross-team interdependencies for complex systems.
- Communicate project issues and status in a concise, accurate, and professional manner
- Apply best practices to the software development lifecycle for projects based on experiences with a number of agile and blended approaches, as well effectively coordinating the implementations across teams using very different approaches.
- Build and maintain integrated project schedules that account for internal/external dependencies, differing SDLC approaches, numerous constraints, and adequately factors in some contingency for some unplanned delays while still be aggressive.
- Remain flexible to changing priorities, open to new ideas and have Amazon’s success firmly in your focus.
- Think BIG!!!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 3+ years people management experience
- Experience with OOD and object oriented languages
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By...