Become part of our Great Hometown and
Join the Village of Wellington's
Public Works Department!
The Village of Wellington's Public Works Department operates and maintains Wellington's infrastructure, fleet, solid waste, roadways, landscaping, drainage system, facilities, fields, and equipment while assisting in the planning and designing of Wellington's Captial Maintenance programs. Public Works oversees the following divisions: Aquatics and Sports Facilities, Buidling Maintenance, Landscape Maintenance, Nuisance Abatement, Environmental Services, Neighborhood Parks, Fleet & Equipment Maintenance, Surface Water Management, Preserve Maintenance, Solid Waste, and Roads.
Employees in the Maintenance Worker II Position are responsible for performing semi-skilled labor-intensive tasks in grounds, service, maintenance, construction activities, irrigation systems, and related components. Employees in this position generally function in an assigned functional area, and perform duties according to area of assignment.
The Village of Wellington is a "Great Hometown" that strives to provide high quality services that create economic, environmental, and social sustainability. Our Wellington vision balances a unique hometown, family atmosphere with an attractive natural environment and recreational, cultural, and educational activities and facilities for all ages. The Village of Wellington is a family-oriented community located in Western Palm Beach county and is a great place to live, work, and play.
Examples of Duties:
Depending on area of assignment, the Ideal Candidate may:
- Maintain Wellington facilities through custodial duties including, but not limited to sweeping, mopping, dusting, painting, and general janitorial tasks
- Set up and break down facilities for special events
- Perform minor repairs
- Perform a variety of grounds duties according to area of assignment, e.g., custodial duties, roads maintenancance, mowing grounds, fertilizing, weed-eating, planting foliage, seeding lawns, trimming foliage, replacing sod
- Operate a variety of light to medium equipment, e.g., mowers, edgers, weed-eaters, backhoes, chippers, chainsaws, blowers
- Perform a variety of maintenance duties according to area of assignment, e.g., repairing equipment, maintaining athletic fields and courts, installation and repair tasks on a variety of irrigation, mechanical, and electronic system components
- Address safety hazards
- Load and unload materials from distribution vehicles; move and relocate equipment for special activities
- Maintain work records regarding observations and solutions, e.g., malfunctioning equipment, materials used, vendor supply acquisitions, etc.
- Refer to a variety of documentation and materials for instruction and in troubleshooting systems, e.g., blueprints, schematics, installation/repair manuals
- Respond to 24 hour call-in for water control during hurricanes or other weather/critical events
- Perform related duties as directed when such duties are logical and appropriate to the position
High school diploma / GED; supplemented by one (1) year previous work experience demonstrating basic skills in the use of a variety of hand tools and maintenance equipment, and/or demonstrating basic skills in the installation and repair of irrigation systems (depending on area of assignment); ability to satisfy the physical requirements of the job; or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. Possession of a valid Florida driver’s required.
Village of Wellington - 17 months ago