Our technology is the heart of our business and the ability to lead and inspire a team of top tier engineers is a requirement for this position. The CTO will be successful if s/he:
- Drives BlackLine-wide alignment around a technology vision and develops an execution plan for this vision that identifies required resources and structure for long-term success.
- Improves the quality and efficiency of technology development efforts.
- Fosters a culture of technology innovation, creating systems and pathways for developing new ideas.
- Builds upon the strong technology talent at BlackLine to foster a strong sense of team that works effectively together and continues to be highly skilled and motivated.
Strategy & Planning
- Align senior management behind a technology vision.
- Lead strategic technological planning to achieve business goals by prioritizing technology initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technologies.
- Develop and maintain a technology evolution roadmap for BlackLine based on an inventory and assessment of current practices, a review of historical practices and their impact on outcomes, consultation with business and technology team leaders, external and internal identified best practices and contemporary tools and methods appropriate to project scale.
- Develop and communicate business/technology alignment plans to executive team, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities and risks related to the delivery of the organization's products and services, opportunities for innovation, identification of competitive and cooperative services, obstacles and technical challenges.
- Lead strategic planning by identifying and recommending technology initiatives and roadmaps to structure and streamline the development and deployment of all products and services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team to establish appropriate governance processes to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed, resources are utilized efficiently, and partnerships are managed effectively.
- Effectively communicate BlackLine’s technology vision and strategy externally, to the board, management, staff, users, and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for ensuring that BlackLine delivers high-quality software on time and on budget.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Assess and communicate risks associated with technology-related investments and purchases.
- Assist with the development of business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives.
- Establish and enforce processes for requirements definition of new technology implementations and communicate them to key business stakeholders.
- Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
- Define and communicate corporate procedures, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and operating new network systems, equipment, software, and other technologies.
- Approve, prioritize, and control projects and the project portfolio as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems.
- Conduct research to remain up-to-date and knowledgeable in regards to industry trends and emerging technologies in anticipation of new business processes and system alterations.
- Analyze and improve upon technology standards across the organization to maintain a technological and competitive edge within the market
- Act as primary liaison for the company’s technology vision via regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users.
- Creatively and independently provide resolution to technical problems in a cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control the technical services annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all technical staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and personnel policies.
- Ensure continuous delivery of technical services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of systems, programs, and equipment performance.
- Ensure equipment and software operation adheres to applicable laws and regulations.
- Own relationships with key software development partners. Establish and provide guidance for the adoption of appropriate methods for partner and vendor management.
- Establish and provide guidance for adoption of best practices for documentation, coding conventions and standards, testing and quality assurance, monitoring and performance tools and procedures.
- Support the creation and management of appropriate processes for user/customer service and support, issue resolution and incorporation into software development methodology.
- Support the development and management of budgets across various aspects of technology development and deployment.
- Establish guidelines to ensure that technological development is in line with stakeholder expectations as well as applicable laws and regulations regarding privacy, security and social responsibility.
- Establish appropriate frameworks for managing intellectual property and innovation while fostering and promoting collaboration and sharing.
- Contribute to best practices, standards and methods by collaborating with peers and the community at large via conferences, publications or through other venues.
- Develop and maintain a set of best practices for technology development in consultation with senior leadership, project leadership, external advisors and internal technologists
- Foster an environment where ideas, initiatives and roadmaps are built by collaboration and we constantly innovate on the customer’s behalf.
- Execute on projects with crisp goals, timelines and requirements.
- Contribute to an environment of trust and mutual respect.
- Maintain a strong commitment to teamwork and concern for others
- Seek growth and learning opportunities.
- Use effective communication and listening skills.
- Exhibit a high level of personal responsibility and ownership.
- Demonstrate personal accountability and integrity.
We think a blend of experiences is best suited for this role. You’ve likely worked in both small startups and large software development firms. You have played a mix of senior technology roles at a high level of contribution (Dev Lead, Program Manager, Architect). And you’ve developed as a leader of complex organizations—you’ve spent at least 5+ years building and leading a sizable high performance development organization with a track record of driving innovation.
A few questions to help identify if you will be a good fit. If you answer yes to these questions then we hope to speak to you soon:
- Do you have a proven track record as a builder of high functioning and innovative development teams?
- Are you a confident decision maker who is willing to take risks?
- Do you have endless ideas on how to improve the communication between Product Management, Development & Product Operations?
- Do you look for opportunities to inspire and mentor developers?
- Are you excited by the challenge of building an engineering team to architect and build great software?
- Do you like to solve operational inefficiencies by engineering and building solutions rather than buying software or adding people?
- Would you thrive in a frugal and metric driven environment, always looking for highest performance/lowest cost solutions?
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree (or other advanced degree) in Computer Science or related field
- At least ten years of directly relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility
- Solid background in software development, with experience in mobile and wireless technologies highly desirable
- Experience building and deploying technology services under challenging conditions, preferably in developing countries
- Experience developing overall architectural approaches to complex software development using contemporary tools and technologies
BlackLine Systems - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard