ITT Exelis is powered by ingenuity, which is the hallmark of our business, products and people. Exelis is a leader in networked communications, sensing and surveillance, electronic warfare, navigation, air traffic solutions and information systems with growing positions in cyber security, composite aero-structures, logistics and technical services. We provide innovative solutions in the areas of command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) and the Information and Technical Services markets. The company has a 50-year legacy of partnering with customers worldwide to deliver affordable, mission-critical products and services for managing global threats, conflicts and complexities.
We are seeking a Junior Optical Technician for our Rochester, New York location.
The selected candidate will perform some or all of the following duties. Additional duties may be required:
This role will involve basic optical metrology/test tasks in support of the Geospatial Systems Products Integration work flow under the technical direction of one or more experienced technicians or engineers.
Provides technical support to engineers performing research, evaluation and development for highly complex and technical space-based aerospace products. Uses the application of engineering standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. Performs technical tasks in electrical, mechanical, optical, software, systems, and/or hardware components. The role can involve assisting technicians and engineers in the design and development of products and systems including the engineering of new products or updates to existing products.
• 2 year associate degree in optical technologies or equivalent.
• Has a basic understanding of optical measurement techniques
• Assists with Optical Test Set monitoring per procedures and guidelines.
• Assists in the implementation of basic test procedures while selecting appropriate optical instrumentation/equipment.
• Performs light assembly of support equipment.
• Research procedural information and print documents.
• Demonstrates basic math skills.
• Demonstrates basic PC/ keyboarding skills.
• Able to Office S/W tools (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc..)
• Prepares technical data to core optical engineering team for utilization in support activities.
• Performs special assignments as requested and willing to work outside of comfort zone while under the supervision of other technicians or Engineers.
• Maintains data logs in accordance with established policy and procedures.
• Assists in writing test data summaries for basic optical test measurements.
• Able to take direction from lead technician or engineer during optical metrology measurements or tests.
• Contributes to improvements to existing metrology equipment and able to update operating procedures.
• Assists in failure reviews by collecting requested data sets.
• Familiar with standards in area of technology concentration
• Assists in the investigation, analysis and solving of technical problems encountered by engineering services, quality control and manufacturing departments.
• Able to keep up to date on the latest metrology techniques by reading technical journals and publications.
• 24x7 shift work for extended periods of time is required.
• General office environment, laboratory, manufacturing area, or research areas requiring the ability to stand or sit for long periods of time. Personal protective equipment maybe required to be used. Position requires the ability to work with computers and lift up to 25 pounds. Occasional travel to work at customer sites for 1 to 2 week durations required over the course of the next 2 years.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information, US Citizenship required
Clearance Level Required at Start Date
Minimum Education Requirements
Business or Technical School (AA Desired) or Equivalent
Percent of Travel Required
Less than 25%