When applying for this position, please note on your application: Position #815-280-4179-006 RPA (13-273).
The California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) is seeking an ambitious individual for an exciting career as an Accountant Trainee . Join us in our beautiful
LEED Platinum Certified headquarters building in West Sacramento, overlooking the Sacramento River within walking distance of restaurants and shops in historic Old Sacramento.
Enjoy the full service café, free on-site gym and parking fees of only $45.00 per month.
Please click here for the duty statement .
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Conceptual skills in analyzing accounting and business issues
- Skills in research and analysis
- A degree in Accounting, Finance, or related fields
- Ability and desire to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Ability to take independent action
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Excellent customer service
The California State Teachers' Retirement System, with a portfolio valued at $165.8 billion as of June 30, 2013, is the largest educator-only pension fund in the world.
CalSTRS administers a hybrid retirement system, consisting of traditional defined benefit, cash balance and voluntary defined contribution plans, as well as disability and survivor
benefits. For 100 years CalSTRS has served California's public school educators and their families, who today number 856,000 from the state’s 1,600 school districts, county offices
of education and community college districts.
Our employee recognition program, Virtuosity, garnered the 2012 Best Practice Standards Award for
Best Overall Recognition Program from Recognition Professionals International! The international award
celebrates employee recognition innovations that enhance organizational performance. This award is a clear
recognition of our employer of choice commitment, as CalSTRS continues to emphasize the importance of our
core values and mission statement.
CalSTRS Core Values: A set of attitudes, beliefs and behaviors that define CalSTRS and its employees.
CalSTRS Core Competencies: Behavioral characteristics that are essential for the success of each contributor and are directly related to the success of CalSTRS as a whole.
- Customer Service: We never compromise on quality as we strive to meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.
- Accountability: We operate with transparency and accept responsibility for our actions.
- Leadership: We model best practices in our industry and innovate to achieve higher standards.
- Strength: We ensure the strength of our system by embracing a diversity of ideas and people.
- Trust: We conduct ourselves with integrity, acting ethically in every endeavor.
- Respect: We respect the needs of our members, co-workers, and others, treating everyone with fairness, honesty, and courtesy.
- Stewardship: We recognize our fiduciary responsibility as the foundation for all decision-making.
The following appointment options may be considered when filling this position: list appointments, lateral transfers, reinstatements, training and development assignments, out-of-class assignments, limited-term appointments, etc. To find out how to
become a civil service employee, please go to the State Personnel Board’s website
at: www.jobs.ca.gov .
- Adaptability / Flexibility: Adapts well to changes, approaches change positively, and adjusts behavior accordingly.
- Communication: Demonstrates applicable job-related written, oral, and listening skills.
- Customer / Client Focus: Identifies and responds to current and future client needs.
- Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals.
- Work Standards / Quality Orientation: Sets high quality work standards while displaying a high level of effort towards completing assignments in a timely manner.
Candidate may be selected by resume review only.
(1) Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will
be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting
through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify
education and check driving records.
(2) The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning
economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political
(3) Applicants will not be considered if the application is not completed appropriately and/or if
required additional information is not submitted with the application.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit a STD 678, Examination and/or Employment Application (Rev. 12/06 or later) to the
address below. Surplus applicants must attach a copy
of their letter. The STD. 678 can be accessed through the State Personnel Board website at
California State Personnel Board - 14 months ago