The Doctors Company is fiercely committed to its mission of advancing, protecting, and rewarding the practice of good medicine. We are proud that our employees have helped to make us the nation’s leading physician-owned medical malpractice insurance carrier.
We are a financially strong company, with sound management, consistent leadership, and a history of uninterrupted growth. We offer our employees competitive compensation, incentive plans, outstanding career opportunities, an exceptional work environment, and an impressive benefits package.
The Doctors Company is currently seeking an Underwriting Analyst for our office in East Lansing, Michigan.
As an Underwriting Analyst, under the general supervision of management, you will utilize both manual and system processes in performing a variety of tasks to assist a team of one or more underwriters in the production, selection, pricing, control and servicing of assigned business. Responsibilities include: review and processing of complex policy and billing transactions, perform policy or system documentation and records maintenance related to those tasks. Provide process instruction to Member Services or Underwriting Technicians utilizing NOVA tasks. May summarize loss history and other information for selected accounts. May review solo new physician or add-on applications, re-underwriting files or PAR accounts and recommend action to management. Mentors less experienced staff. May research and provide processing instructions for Patient Compensation Fund (PCF) transactions. Contacts for the position are: members, policyholders, policy administrators, credentialing administrators, employees at all levels of the company, premium accounting, patient safety, agents, claims and legal professionals, PCF employees, and members of the general public.
• Two (2) or more years Insurance or Health Care Industry experience preferred.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
• INS, RPLU or CPCU designation, or progress in obtaining such a designation, is preferred.
• Supports assigned accounts based on a detailed working knowledge of market segment and account type. Working at the direction of underwriter(s), tracks or monitors sizeable accounts or uniquely structured programs.
• Enters data into developed processing systems such as NOVA, NOVA Policy/STAR, Vista, and Documanagement System (DWS) with a high degree of accuracy; communicates results of that data entry to the appropriate parties as necessary. For sizeable accounts, enters rating data into an on-line rating tool or spreadsheet, following instructions provided. May research and provide processing instructions for Patient Compensation Fund (PCF) transactions.
• Assists underwriter(s) in evaluating and reviewing new and renewal accounts: Obtains renewal applications and other required information from members, policyholders, policy administrators, agents or other sources and may review solo new physician or add-on applications, re-underwriting files or PAR accounts and recommend action to management.
• Within authority delegated, responds to and effectively handles questions or complaints from members, policyholders, policy administrators, agents or other sources in maintaining and servicing assigned business.
• Prepares both routine and specialized correspondence and scans, right-faxes, e-mails, or mails appropriate member or policyholder documents, and other related materials as needed or requested by the customer.
• Maintains Documanagement (DWS) policy and billing files to Department standards.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to prioritize incoming requests while maintaining daily work assignments.
• Strong team orientation and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
• Ability to accurately type 25 WPM.
• Ability to accurately enter data from insurance applications, underwriting correspondence or instructions and credentialing requests into developed processing systems such as Nova, Nova Policy/STAR, Vista, and on-line rating tools or spreadsheets.
• Ability to follow directions and department procedures with a high degree of detail. For account referral purposes, must know the names and titles of key management personnel and have a working knowledge of department structure and reporting relationships.
• Proficiency and aptitude in use of computer information systems with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel preferred.
• Ability to travel and adapt to a flexible work schedule.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The Doctors Company offers an outstanding benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, prescription, life insurance, business travel accident insurance, educational reimbursement, personal days, 401(k), and flexible reimbursement plans.
As part of the hiring process, The Doctors Company may require background checks, DMV records, and/or drug testing.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
The Doctors Company - 11 months ago
At The Doctors Company, we are fiercely committed to our mission of advancing, protecting, and rewarding the practice of good medicine....