Principal Server Software Engineer - C/C++ Linux Networking
Location: US-CA-San Mateo
Posted Date: 1/16/2013
Cost Center: 246
About the Job
This position will offer the opportunity to work on software that runs one of the largest distributed systems in the world. You will be an integral part of our aggressive growth strategy for creating highly inventive solutions for our networking challenges and for our clients, driving more and more traffic on the Internet, making it more reliable, secure and faster.
The ideal candidate must be very comfortable with and highly motivated by working with C / C++ code bases involving 100,000s lines of very complex multi-threaded networking code. This person takes pride in writing readable, maintainable, and highly reliable code. In fact, he / she considers software engineering and coding a form of art.
This person will work closely with many other teams inside the company such as the kernel, mapping, performance, EdgeComputing, Distributed Data Collection, QA, and many other teams.
About The Team
The candidate will be part of a highly skilled engineering team that's responsible for creating the software that runs Akamai's world-wide network, one of the largest distributed systems in the world. Our software is a combination of many different technologies. It is a web server, a web client, a distributed caching engine, and much more. It provides a scalable, fault tolerant solution to web sites for handling their traffic, speeds up applications and downloads, provides security, determines the fastest route from point A to point B, hops around bottlenecks on the Internet, does media streaming, adds many features that would normally be implemented in either a web server or a client, and provides a wide array of reporting abilities for our Network Operations Command Center and our customers.
By leveraging our global deployment of 85,000+ servers in 1,000+ networks, Akamai can uniquely solve problems and exceed fundamental limitations of traditional networking. Our technology is changing the rules of the game and challenging traditional thinking in a rapidly growing and very exciting market.
This Principal Software Engineer will create new features from scratch and enhance existing features in C / C++ for our highly scalable and massively distributed system. You will be fast tracked for the unique opportunity to lead, shape, and grow a team of top-notch software engineers. You may also work on projects that make our network more scalable, faster, and secure. You will drive development from conception and design through testing and deployment. This engineer will also work with our development QA and system QA teams on coming up with regression tests that cover new changes to our software. You may also work with our 3rd level engineering support to troubleshoot complex problems on our network.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience with C and / or C++ on Linux or a Unix based OS.
- Minimum of 8 years of in depth understanding of Internet protocols including TCP/IP, UDP/IP, and HTTP.
- Minimum of 8 years of strong expertise with multi-threaded development.
- Minimum of 8 years of very high coding and technical skills - proven track record of delivering large amounts of high quality, complex code.
- Highly responsible, self-disciplined, self-managed, self-motivated, able to work with little or no supervision.
- Passion to understand, learn, and dissect new technologies quickly on your own.
- Extensive experience working on multiple projects at a time in a fast paced, results oriented environment.
- Experience with the complete software development life cycle, from requirements to design, implementation, testing, and release.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Pluses: XML, Perl, SQL, OpenSSL and various streaming protocols.
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Is relocation available for this position: No
- Is US Citizenship required: No
- Is a Security Clearance Required: No
No one carries more of the world's Web traffic than Akamai, so working with Akamai means you’re helping some of the world’s best known brands succeed in bringing any experience to any device, anywhere. Cloud computing, SaaS, eCommerce, online entertainment and dynamic personalized experiences are all fueled by Akamai technology. Join Akamai and you join a culture that’s extremely intelligent, strongly supportive and passionately committed to delivering world-class solutions. Some of the best minds in business, mathematics, and engineering work at Akamai – leading, learning and shaping the future of the Internet.
If you're excited by Akamai and would like to help change the online landscape please apply. No time to apply? Join our Talent Community.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer (M/F/D/V) that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace.