The Controller is an important member of the senior management team. He/she is responsible for directing the Company’s accounting staff and designing implementing and monitoring compliance with a system of internal accounting control that ensures (1) only transactions properly authorized by management are executed, (2) all transactions are properly processed and recorded, (3) assets are adequately safeguarded and (4) financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) are produced on a timely basis. The Controller also oversees the development of the Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and compliance with government contract accounting requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manage the accounting department and develop and supervise its staff to ensure only properly authorized transaction are executed, properly processed and recorded and GAAP financial statements are produced on a timely basis.
2. Continuously monitor the system of internal accounting control for adequacy, effectiveness and compliance.
3. Oversee and ensure the quality and timeliness of all accounting and financial information and compliance reports to the government, creditors, shareholders and other entities.
4. Oversee and assist in the development of and reporting against the Company’s Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
5. Provide value-added decision support analysis and reports as requested/required by management and external professional services vendors.
6. Oversee corporate income tax compliance to ensure the accurate and timely completion and filing of all corporate tax returns taking full advantage of all benefits in the tax codes.
7. Oversee and manage all external audits of the Company’s books and records to ensure efficient and timely completion.
8. Review/prepare reports required by regulatory agencies.
9. Coordinate the month-end and year-end closing process.
10. Review company financial statements for accuracy and clarity.
11. Supervise and monitor cash and treasury management function including, interfacing with bank operations systems and personnel
Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Bachelors or higher degree in Accounting.
• 5-10 years experience in all aspects of accounting and finance in the government contract industry with knowledge of all unique aspects of the accounting function.
• CPA certification required.
• Experience with Deltek project accounting systems (GCS Premiere or Cost Point)
• Strong working knowledge of general ledgers, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, income tax and banking.
• Exceptional computer skills, especially with spreadsheet packages (Excel)
• Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
• Ability to identify/resolve problems in a timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully.
• Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive/negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct meetings.
• Ability to delegate work assignments, give authority to work independently, set expectations and monitor delegated activities.
• Ability to include staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; making self available to staff; provide regular performance feedback; develop subordinates’ skills and encourage growth.
• Ability to look for ways to improve/promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
• Ability to display willingness to assert authority and make timely decisions and exhibit sound and accurate judgment.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
• Ability to actively promote and personally observe safety/security procedures and use equipment/materials properly.
• Environment demands a detail-oriented and organized individual.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with customers, employees and managers. Ability to convey a professional and positive image to customers and employees.
Ability to comprehend and apply basic mathematics.
Ability to be responsive and persuasive to all levels of the organization. Excellent organizational, project and time management skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand or crouch. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision; color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
TWD - 18 months ago