Organizational Background: Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 to empower the community by developing grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Proyecto is a highly effective community-based organization that focuses on building reciprocal relationships with residents to develop personally and create change in their community. Our initiatives include: the Guadalupe Homeless Project, an emergency shelter for recently immigrated men; IMPACTO, a youth academic enrichment program; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 5 years old for Kindergarten; a community run Thrift Store, and Comunidad en Movimiento , focused on civic engagement and leadership development. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 2,500 children, youth and families through its five programs.
The Youth Program Director is a senior level position and functions as part of the management team of the organization, providing expertise in youth development and education leadership with the strategic growth and development of programs. The Director is responsible for the administration, oversight and evaluation of the academic enrichment programming for two program sites (serving nearly 200 youth year round). The Director reports to the Executive Director, and supports and implements the mission, vision and values of Proyecto Pastoral.
Program Development, Leadership and Management
· Ensure that program activities are aligned to best practices in the field of youth development and education; and achieve expected outcomes.
· Support staff in developing engaging and challenging curriculum for students across all grade levels that develops comprehensive academic and leadership skills; and provides substitute support when needed.
· Oversee the implementation of the program evaluation plan, including data collection, entry and analysis to assess program impact and improve student and parent outcomes.
· Work with staff to implement strategies that engage parents to develop as effective educational advocates, facilitate access to community resources, and support positive parent-child relationship building.
Manage contractual agreements, completed in a timely manner and within budget.
- Manage the youth program team of staff by providing supervision, coaching, and professional development.
- Provide vision for short and long-term program growth strategies.
- Serve as an active member of equipo and Proyecto leadership team, by participating in and facilitating strategic planning subcommittees that further the organizations growth in the areas of education and youth work.
- Actively participate in and provide leadership in collective impact initiatives that help further the organization's strategic goals, such as Promesa Boyle Heights and Building Healthy communities.
· Build relationships with foundations, government, education and community partners to strengthen dialogue, cooperation and learning related to supporting and improving educational achievement. This includes relationships with after-school programs, parent-school engagement and education reform efforts. Financial and Resource Development
· Prepare reports to various stakeholders, i.e. community members, administration and funders, to articulate the program's goals, objectives, and impact.
· Work with the development team to identify and respond to funding prospects.
· Supervise volunteer coordinator's strategies for outreach, development and management of volunteers and other in-kind resources. General Proyecto Pastoral Employee Organizational Responsibilities
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community building vision and founding Jesuit values
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Be an active team member supporting other staff members
- Participate in Proyecto Pastoral events and activities
- Demonstrated success leading a team and managing a program to achieve its goals.
Ability to work flexible hours (ie. evenings and some weekends)
- Enthusiastic team builder with strong leadership skills including: relationship building, strategic planning, verbal and written communication, organizational and time management abilities
- Ability to coach, train, and support diverse staff.
- Flexible, resilient, self-starter with a good sense of humor.
· Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
· Must have valid California driver's license and access to a car
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Experience with data collection and analysis.
- Minimum of five years of senior-level experience that demonstrates a sophisticated and deep knowledge of youth development principles and best practices; prefer experience in Boyle Heights and/or in similar communities
- Have a broad knowledge of non-profit organizational operations and program development and the ability to provide strategic input as part of the agency leadership.
- Undergraduate degree required; an advanced degree in education or a related field is preferred
- Adept at working in a complex organizational environment. A track record of success working collaboratively with diverse staff, parents/community members, schools and other youth service providers.
Salary: Commensurate, depending on experience
Status: Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
idealist.org - 21 months ago
Proyecto Pastoral at Dolores Mission was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. It has grown into a...