This position will provide Linux and Unix systems administration to support mission-critical administrative, academic and research servers and services.
The technical environment includes 300+ virtual and physical servers running Red Hat, OpenSuse, CentOS, AIX, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, OpenLdap, Oracle and OpenVZ.
The Linux Systems Administrator will install, configure, document and maintain servers, applications and services with a focus on automation, standardization, high availability and reliability. The position is part of a technical team that provides leadership for emerging IT services including the University's cloud based ITIL service management suite and central configuration management database (CMDB).
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Provides technical expertise in resolving user system deficiencies and determines appropriate action.
2. Provides system services and analyze system performance for stakeholders and intended end users. Performs all activities necessary to activate a new operating system or new release of an existing system, including analysis, design, implementation, and related documentation. Analyzes systems performance and modifies programs to increase the efficiency of the operation. Reinstates integrity of system as quickly as possible following an outage in order to minimize item and data loss.
3. Recommends and authorizes system upgrades and software installations.
4. Designs, develops and implements new system tools.
5. Analyzes execution time of commonly used instruction to identify and replaces those that are inefficient or slow to operation.
6. Analyzes, evaluates and takes steps to circumvent problems and restores systems to operating condition.
7. Contributes in the determination of specifications and determines the combination of options needed to tailor an operating system to meet the business needs.
8. Conducts training and user education.
9. Researches new technologies, processes, and methodologies.
10. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two to five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Extensive knowledge of and experience with Linux / Unix operating systems, utilities, tools and applications.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Broad technical knowledge in related areas such as web application programming, database administration, networking, identity management and Windows server operating systems.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability with automated configuration management tools such as CFengine, Chef or Puppet.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated scripting/programming proficiency.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Familiarity with ITIL service management concepts and processes.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's degree plus four years of experience supporting production Linux/Unix systems in a 24/7/365 environment.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University - 17 months ago
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...