Job Posting Title
Supervisor, Distribution - Greenville, SC
US-SC, FOUNTAIN INN
Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions.
Our 20,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels.
As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.
Under the close direction of the Distribution Process Manager the Supervisor will provide leadership and general supervision of employees within a specific functional area or a specific process in a high volume, order fulfillment, multi-shift distribution center while learning the fundamentals of supervision and leadership at Grainger. In this role you will support Managers to help ensure timely accurate product receipt, order fulfillment, and the optimization of resources and processes. The Supervisor learns to manage processes throughout the operation by rotating through the processes. Learn to manage and lead people to ensure compliance with company policies/procedures, continual process improvement and drive employee initiatives to create and promote an environment where employees are involved, empowered, and committed to the success of the Company thereby negating the need for third party representation.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise the daily distribution operations in designated area – maintain (audit, refine, improve) tools and processes within this area to meet customer requirements including deadlines and quality standards.
- Includes the day to day scheduling, staffing, material management, compliance, training and auditing activities.
- Provide a positive and equitable working environment emphasizing Championship Team Values.
- Support and emphasize the safety and quality commitments of the department. Provide direction to team members regarding safety and quality concerns.
- Ensure 100% compliance with established department processes and procedures.
- Ability to utilize resources and materials in the most efficient and productive manner possible. Ability to identify and act on opportunities for material cost savings.
- Ensure that housekeeping standards are built into daily processes and complied too.
- Have in depth understanding of the assigned DC processes/functions. Review opportunities for continuous improvement of warehouse and customer service processes. Identify key variables that influence the workflow process. Develop and implement departmental changes enhancing workflow optimization.
- Develop and implement performance measurements and internal auditing programs in order to routinely evaluate operations efficiency and quality. Implement changes on an as needed basis.
- Ensure compliance with Company, OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulations with particular emphasis on hazardous materials and power industrial equipment requirements. Ensure the handling/shipping of hazardous materials are in compliance with government regulations and Grainger policies.
- Facilitate and verify appropriate training for employees within department (including, but not limited to, PIE, HazMat, etc)
- Optimize staff performance. Effectively lead and coach the department’s employees by creating/sharing a common vision/direction and an understanding of the organization’s strategy. Deliver results in support of the company strategy and expectations; ensure operational excellence within function.
- Assist in training, developing, and managing a small staff of employees in non-exempt positions. Learn to effectively impose positive corrective action to ensure compliance with DC policies and procedures while ensuring their employees are treated fairly and with respect.
- Commit to employee feedback and development process – support development goals, conduct recognition and disciplinary action for employees, and facilitate employee success. Monitor and enhance employees’ individual performance through clearly defined expectations, training, coaching and counseling to achieve required results with regard to productivity, safety, quality, and attendance, processes and Championship Team Values.
- Participate in hiring effective members into Grainger.
- Facilitate and/or lead various teams such as lean and quality excellence teams that generate creative employee engagement and involvement in the improvement of DC processes and improvement of employee commitment to the success of the DC.
- Submit and/or maintain and distribute reports related to attendance, labor, efficiency, safety and others as needed.
- Must be able to meet departmental expectations to effectively drive results.
Preferred Education & Experience:
Ability to operate Powered Industrial Equipment.
- Four year degree in business, management, logistics, material management or related field or equivalent experience highly preferred.
- 2 – 5 year’s progressive responsible leadership or supervisory experience in high volume, multi shift, order fulfillment distribution center preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive employee relations. Strong interpersonal skills are needed to directly supervise employees in non-exempt positions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to interface well with other departments, and lead effectively and efficiently in a team environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel to analyze and solve problems related to distribution, quality, cycle time and other key performance metrics.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information to determine paths for process improvement and potential root cause/corrective actions in the case of exceptions.
- Ability to respond to detailed inquiries, and present information to groups and senior management. Ability to communicate effectively across vertical and horizontal lines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with the ability to drive results .Ability to operate on tight deadlines with multiple priorities subject to frequent changes.
- Demonstrated competence in the application and use of Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Experience with SAP and warehouse management systems preferred.
- Must be able to interface with a multi-shift operation and physically frequent all areas of offices, warehouse and external trailer yards. 85% time in warehouse environment, 15% office, customer contact, external yard or trailers. Will be required to change shifts and/or hours to meet training requirements.
- Position requires occasional travel to other DC’s, Corporate office, and field locations.
- Strong professional writing skills and ability to prepare technical report
Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Warehouse environment with potential for customer interface (will call).
- Interaction with Hazardous Materials required at times
- Interaction with Power Industrial Equipment.
- Must be able to walk long distances in hot and cold temperatures.
- Constant exposure to packing materials and product (to include light, moderate and heavy items on large and small scales).
Grainger is an equal opportunity employer
- Decisions on staffing and work flow impact product availability, internal and external customer’s requirements/perceptions, and productivity.
- Decisions on process improvements impact overall performance and effectiveness.
- Policy application and management of staff affects performance and work environment issues.
W.W. Grainger - 16 months ago