As a level 3 Associate on our Assurance Team, you will continue to utilize your educational background as well as your organizational skills as you work on clients of the Firm. You will take direction from other, more experienced members of the Team as you assist in problem solving and fact-finding. You may be involved with all stages of an audit, including planning, fieldwork and completion. You may train and supervise individuals at Level 2 and "in-charge" smaller, non-complex engagements. An Associate at this level may also be involved in review engagements or agreed-upon procedures engagements. Typical responsibilities will include preparing financial statements with disclosures and applying some areas of GAAP as necessary. You will also begin to apply your experience and knowledge of business processes by making suggestions to improve client internal controls and accounting procedures.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
- Applies knowledge and understanding of the collective effect of various factors on establishing or enhancing effectiveness, or mitigating the risks, of specific policies and procedures.
- Identifies and considers all applicable policies, laws, rules, and regulations of the firm, regulators, or other authoritative bodies as part of engagement team;
- Makes constructive suggestions to improve client internal controls and accounting procedures;
- Documents and validates the operating effectiveness of the clients' internal control system.
- Applies knowledge and understanding of governing principles; applying these principles to client transactions; and documenting and communicating an understanding and application of these principles.
- Begins to support conclusions with authoritative literature;
- Drafts basic sets of financial statements with disclosures;
- Researches intermediate areas of accounting and forms an initial opinion on the correct treatment independently;
- Begins to teach newer team members knowledge/applications.
- Applies knowledge and understanding of professional standards; application of the principles contained in professional standards; and the ability to document and communicate an understanding and application of professional standards on an engagement.
- Develops and applies an intermediate knowledge of auditing theory, a sense of audit skepticism, and the use of BDO audit manuals;
- Applies auditing theory to various client situations;
- Documents in line with BDO policy and is able to identify deviations from this and draw the attention of more senior team members in order to obtain approval;
- Applies knowledge to identify instances where testing may be reduced or expanded and draws these to the attention of more senior team members;
- Contributes ideas/opinions to the engagement teams and listens/responds to other team members' views;
- Begins to develop an understanding of audit risks that an engagement team may encounter.
- Applies knowledge and application of BDO standards that guide effective and efficient delivery of quality services and products.
- Effectively completes BDO work paper documentation;
- Understands BDO methodology and requirements and ensures that the work they perform is in accordance with that.
External Job Description - Qualifications
- Applies methodology used to seek or maintain information from authoritative sources and to draw conclusions regarding a target issue based on that information .
- Researches basic and intermediate accounting topics and form an initial opinion on the treatment independently.
- Other duties as required
- Supervise more junior team members (L2 associates and interns).
- Coaching of more junior team members on basic audit areas.
- Possess good communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Able to work effectively in a team setting;
- Is self motivated;
- Able to follow instructions as directed by members of Assurance Team;
- Able to substantially wind up areas assigned;
- Able to be involved in all stages of the audit, including planning, fieldwork and completion;
- At times, may need to be able to "in-charge" smaller, non-complex engagements;
- Able to be involved in review engagements or agreed-upon procedures engagements;
- Possesses good analytical skills;
- Is able to approach problems or tasks in a logical manner;
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Bachelors or Master's degree in Accounting or equivalent
- 1-2 years prior experience (including 3 month internships a plus)
- CPA preferred or actively studying for the CPA exam
- Microsoft Office Products, including Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in the use of various assurance applications and research tools as is appropriate for this level
BDO USA, LLP - 3 years ago
BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of clients...