This is an extraordinary opportunity for a candidate with the right background to make a major contribution to the growth and development of the Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-Poly). The new Civil Engineering (CE) Department Head will work closely with the executive team and departmental colleagues at the Institute to set a new course for a transformed CE department integral to fulfilling the Institute’s broader strategic vision.
The Department of Civil Engineering is dedicated to advancing the body of knowledge and professional practice of civil engineering. Significantly, there are more PhDs engaged in all elements of civil engineering in New York City than anywhere else in the world. As America’s leading city, New York is one of the most important “laboratories” for breakthrough advances in the field.
Download Position SPEC
The key objective of the CE Department Head is to build on Polytechnic’s proud legacy established over decades of research and education in civil engineering, transportation, construction management and environmental engineering and help to take it to a whole new level of accomplishment in addressing these challenges:
Transform the Department of Civil Engineering. Hire new faculty, attract top students and increase research/grant funding of the Civil Engineering department.
Refocus the core strengths of the Department of Civil Engineering in ways that will more closely align it with the Institute’s broader strategic vision and key initiatives for global growth and development.
Play a key role helping NYU-Poly become a de facto Top-10-ranked leader (globally) in urban systems.
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- 10+ years progressive accomplishments in civil engineering academic leadership and departmental change/transformation. Commercial civil engineering practice/consulting experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated successful leadership in academia or industry judged through growth of enrollment and research expenditures in key academic units or similar accomplishments in an industrial setting.
- Excellent professional reputation judged through membership in the National Academy of Engineering, leadership in civil engineering societies or editorship of leading journal(s).
- High-quality research and publications in one or more civil engineering core areas, as well as emerging areas, judged through high citations, research prizes, invited talks and keynote lectures.
- Strong record of external research funding.
- Genuine commitment to teaching excellence.
- Solid record of multidisciplinary collaborations with academic departments or sectors that impact the CE core areas, such as energy, information technology, robotics, chemistry, finance and policy.
- An earned PhD degree in Civil Engineering.
- Proven administrative and leadership abilities.
- Recognized as a technical leader in research specialty.
- A natural leader who knows how to bring teams of people together and support them in their efforts to accomplish important tasks in a creative and collaborative manner.
- Proven ability to work well with executive-level decision makers, colleagues, students and alumni in a highly professional and effective manner.
- Reputation for taking action and executing agreed-upon initiatives “on time and within budget.”
Polytechnic Institute of New York University - 2 years ago
Higher education is at the core of this Big Apple institution. The setting and heritage of New York University (NYU) make it one of the...