PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Responsible for supervising the overall operation, condition, maintenance, and repair of all water treatment, physical plant, medical equipment, mechanical/electrical systems in the centralized program so as to ensure safety of the patients as well as the staff operating the equipment. Ensures all decisions, actions and activities of Technical Dept staff are compliant with company standard operation procedures and with all pertinent local, state and federal regulatory requirements. Oversees OSHA and regulatory compliance related issues ensuring appropriate actions taken to ensure required resolution. Directly supervises at least two full time equivalent technical positions. Demonstrates pride in the quality of work, regulatory compliance, and the environmental cleanliness of the facilities in the Centralized Technical Program.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES :
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Supervises the repair and maintenance of equipment used to prepare acid and bicarbonate concentrate, equipment used to test water quality, and equipment used to conduct tests for bacteria and endotoxins as required by the Technical Policy and Standards Manual.
- Maintain a preventive maintenance program including support documentation as per FMCNA policy, for all water treatment equipment, medical equipment, and related mechanical electrical systems. Ensure compliance with maintenance, testing, and repair all water treatment equipment, dialysis equipment, medical equipment, testing equipment, and mechanical/electrical systems as recommended by the manufacturer, and by procedures established by FMCNA Clinical/Technical services as documented in the Technical Policy and Standards manual.
- Ensure proper documentation of all maintenance and repairs.
- After maintenance has been performed ensure the machines are clean, disinfected, and free of blood.
- Maintain and update water system diagrams and valve charts.
- Responsible for ordering all repair and maintenance parts for mechanical / electrical systems.
- Ensure environmental integrity and aesthetics are maintained - that all areas are safe and clean.
- Ensure building maintenance is conducted monthly or as needed and documented
- Ensure all machines are operational and all safety equipment is maintained
- Maintain technical manuals with current policies and procedures and retain all technical records and logs according to FMCNA retention policy.
- Implement technical policy changes upon approval of the Governing Body.
- Evaluate physical plan of facilities on an ad hoc basis identifying and making recommendations for significant physical plant improvements to the pertinent management and groups as needed.
- Provide quality leadership in actively supporting the CQI process overseeing and ensuring quality accountability of all technical staff.
- Assist in institution of quality training and education for all technical staff to include quality improvement as well as work-related knowledge and skills
- Assist in institution of quality communication between the technical and clinical staff
- Participate in the oversight of the development of CQI Teams, CQI Projects, and CQI Corrective Action Plans.
- Monthly review of the facilities CQI reports for regulatory compliance to identify opportunities for improvement
- Complete and document ongoing technical CQI activities; and report them to the compliance supervisor.
- Comply with OSHA requirements and documentation and ensure all regulatory requirements are met. Take appropriate action for OSHA and regulatory issues as needed
- Update and provide management with feedback regarding any improvement strategies that may be implemented.
- Prepare monthly CQI reports for committee and review all records pertaining to CQI.
- Participate in facility audits conducted by RQM and state or local surveyors preparing and implementing plan of correction for any technical deficiencies identified.
- Supervise the day to day activities of the technicians allocating and monitoring the workflow processes to ensure the accurate and timely completion of assignments according to the SOP time frame and quality standards. Schedule staff to ensure appropriate coverage and maintenance according to established criteria.
- Assist with the recruitment, interviewing, and hiring process of the technical staff.
- Provide informal feedback to technical staff throughout the year and formal feedback in the annual employee evaluation process including the setting of annual goals.
- Participate in team problem solving processes, uphold team concept, and coordinate team and morale building activities where appropriate.
- Provide employee coaching, counseling, frequent reinforcement, and recognition.
- Assist with technical staff scheduling to ensure effective and efficient accomplishment of technical duties and functions and to ensure FMCNA, state and federal guidelines and requirements are met
- Complete technical employee schedules ensuring FMCNA, state, and federal guidelines and requirements are met.
- Ensure all outside vendor in-service training is completed as needed and required.
- Responsible for acquiring knowledge of current equipment and product initiatives and improvements, and the dissemination of this knowledge where appropriate.
- Coordinate the implementation of equipment and product initiatives and improvements when necessary.
- Train and mentor technical staff as required by the "Training program for Technical Staff" manual.
- Perform and/or provide assistance with the Nurses’ Technical Training Program.
- Assure the skill levels of technical staff remain current with updates and policy changes.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with FMS affiliated physicians, ensuring communication and dissemination of pertinent information as appropriate.
- Submit monthly status report and equipment inventory report to the appropriate managers
- Monitoring of all repair and maintenance costs to ensure budgetary requirements are met.
- Work with Clinical Managers to address clinical variances and product complaints and ensure adequate supply of parts for repair and maintenance of Hemo-dialysis equipment in a cost effective manner.
- Ensure all repair parts are functioning properly and labeled as to their condition.
- Ensure all non-working items are returned for credit to the manufacturer, or properly disposed of.
- Follow up with RGAs to ensure credit is posted – that all RGA returns are submitted in a timely fashion and inter-company credit posted
- Ensure an inventory of all parts for repair and maintenance are maintained and required inventories are performed
- May create SAP purchase orders for supplies such as machines.
- Assists CTP Managers and TOMs providing input for the design, selection and installation of water treatment equipment in facilities – DeNovos, relocations and renovations - and in the design of physical plant operations for new facilities.
- Assists with the coordination of water treatment for new projects after the initial planning ensuring that the equipment is installed and operational (water cultures) at the appropriate quality level and in a timely fashion to ensure there are no delays in the initial CMS certification.
- Supports the opening of new dialysis clinics by ensuring that there is technical coverage for water treatment startup and technical coverage when clinic operation begins.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position involves moderately active work including walking and standing for considerable lengths of time. Bending down to floor level is required for some of the housekeeping duties.
The position requires a considerable amount of physical work. There is a two-person assist program and equipment available for moving the heavier loads/equipment. The employee must regularly move boxes, drums, and equipment of up to 500 lbs. in weight. The use of dollies or other equipment is mandatory while moving items that weigh approximately 500 lbs. The employee must frequently mix and lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. There may be some potential exposure to chemicals and infectious materials.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Associates degree in electronics, Bio Medical Engineering or
- At least 2 years of directly related bio medical work experience in lieu of the Associates degree.
National Technical Certification required.
- Minimum of 2 yrs Dialysis Technical/Mechanical supervisory experience or equivalent mentoring/ precepting experience.
- Technical training programs as required by state/federal regulations, FMCNA policy, or by the local area management.
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills, including those required to problem-solve in a medical, health care environment.
- Demonstrated training abilities.
- Successful completion of the FMCNA Training Program for Technical Staff.
- Successful completion of FMCNA Technical Validation Program exam A within 12 months from date of new position, and successful completion of entire Technical Validation Program within 24 months of new position or equivalent.
- Newly hired or promoted incumbents are responsible for meeting the requirements of the respiratory fit policy if applicable.
- Employees have to meet the necessary requirements of Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment.
- Proven verbal and written skills and basic computer skills preferably in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must have a complete working knowledge of the mechanical area as well as operational knowledge of technical mechanics of dialysis to ensure the appropriate action is taken where necessary.
Fresenius Medical Care - 11 months ago
Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA) operates a network of more than 1,800 dialysis clinics located throughout the US. One of the...