Arizona State University is A New American University — one that welcomes responsibility for the economic, social and cultural well-being of society. ASU is an institution that can find and create answers, inspire action and provide the leadership for change. Our scholars, scientists, artists, engineers and students pursue an over-riding goal: discovery and knowledge that will help us solve the great challenges we face in this century in a way that is best for society and our shared future.
The ASU Foundation for A New American University (ASUF) raises, invests and manages private funds to benefit Arizona State University. Additionally, the foundation serves as the universitys entrepreneurial arm in technology commercialization, real estate investment and other emerging initiatives. One of Arizonas oldest 501(c)(3) organizations, the foundation helps advance the challenges before us.
The ASU Foundation seeks an experienced development professional who will implement a strategic fundraising program to develop resources, cultivate relationships with individuals, corporations and foundations, and secure investments in new health, biomedical, bioengineering and related solutions at ASUs Biodesign Institute. The Biodesign Institute works toward scientific breakthroughs to improve health, protect lives, and sustain our planet. Its research is aimed at predicting, preventing and detecting the onset of disease; protecting and understanding the environment and reducing environmental damage; and developing innovations for a safer, healthier world.
The Biodesign Institute Director of Development is an experienced professional who works collaboratively with the ASU Foundation for A New American University (ASUF) and with Biodesign leadership to secure significant philanthropic investments in the institute. The director will position the leadership of Biodesign with premier national and regional investors to broker partnerships leading to transformational philanthropic investments and significant institutional impacts.
The Biodesign Institute Director of Development will be a member of the ASUF team reporting primarily to the Executive Director, Biodesign Institute, with a dotted line to the Senior Vice President and Managing Director, SOLUTIONS. The director of development will be housed on-site at the Biodesign Institute.
- Work with the Biodesign Institute leadership team to identify fundraising priorities, prospects and opportunities
- Develop and manage a portfolio of donors and prospects and implement a comprehensive development program with established priorities for the Institute
- Guided by the Executive Director of the ASU Biodesign Institute, create and coordinate the engagement of a technical advisory board supporting the work of the institute and recruit new members in an ongoing engagement strategy
- Work closely with the Executive Director to promote the Biodesign Institute through board engagement, industry presentations, organizing cultivation events and hosting high-level visitors
- Coordinate with ASUFs Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations to secure support from major foundations and corporations
- Steward donors and prepare required reports, periodic impact statements and solicitation materials
- Guide the development of written proposals, white papers, strategic plans, budgets and other materials needed to deepen donor and prospect engagement in Biodesign Institute initiatives
- Advise and inform ASUF and Biodesign leadership on prospect and donor information as needed for effective engagement of new donors, ongoing stewardship of existing donors, and leveraging the maximum philanthropic potential of each donor
- Lead, supervise, mentor and evaluate assigned staff
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising
- Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Documented success in personally implementing multi-year cultivation strategies that use a relationship-building and moves management approach leading to successful gift closure
- Experience working with executive boards and high-capacity volunteers
- Able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and evolving priorities
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to ASUF and ASU business and confidential prospect information
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, writing, and by phone
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- An advocates belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and donor/prospect computer data base systems
Bachelors degree and five years of successful professional development and/or fundraising related experience. Masters degree preferred.
Higher education development experience and/or experience with securing major philanthropic investments in a science, biomedical or health related industry is a plus.
Contact us today.
The ASU Foundation for A New American University offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on the ASU Foundation, visit our web site at www.asufoundation.org . If interested in the director of development, Biodesign Institute position, please apply online at www.asufoundation.org/careers.
The ASU Foundation for A New American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Philanthropy Careers - 18 months ago