Technology / Information Technology;
Disney Technology Solutions & Services (DTSS) is responsible for technology strategy and management, central engineering, architecture, IT and technical operations for The Walt Disney Company including virtual worlds, flagship Web sites Disney.com, Disney Family.com, ABC.com and ESPN.com. DTSS provides services in both platform engineering and web operations. Platform engineering includes Content Management Systems, UGC Enforcement Platform, E-commerce, Video Distribution Technology, Registration, Advertising Systems and Data Warehouse & Reporting. The DTSS web operations teams focus on Servers & Hosting and Network Connectivity. DTSS teams are located in Seattle, Bristol, N. Hollywood, Glendale, New York, Burbank, and Orlando.
The Sr. Systems Engineer works as part of a team responsible for planning and executing the integration of Internet-based products and services into complex production environments in an efficient, secure, scalable, reliable and cost-effective manner.
This senior level position is primarily responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and administration of Internet-based enterprise systems. On an on-going basis, this position will identify root causes of operational issues in order to resolve them. As required, this position will help develop tools and scripts to facilitate that maintenance and administration. This position will also work closely with a bi-coastal team to document the enterprise infrastructure and monitoring systems.
This position is also responsible for planning and execution of small to large scale projects within the Technical Operations team under the direction of the manager. Typical projects would include new business unit initiatives and updates to existing products and services.
Systems Administration and Support: executes day-to-day maintenance tasks, software/platform/configuration updates, and resolves live-site issues. Develops scripts and tools to improve administration and support.
Documentation and Training: provides and maintains documentation of systems architecture, troubleshooting and support guidelines, system metrics, project information and plans, and training information for both Systems Engineering and Service Operations staff
Systems Design, Implementation and Review: collaborates with technical operations and engineering teams in the design and implementation of new components of the infrastructure as well as enhancements to the infrastructure
Systems Management: ensures the use of performance data and historical metrics to effectively plan for growth, upgrades, migrations and optimizations
Standards and Best Practices: participates in the development of best practices including capacity planning, monitoring, configuration, security, historical metrics, recovery strategies and migration strategies.
Process: participates in the continual refinement of processes and policies to ensure the highest possible performance and availability of our systems
- Experience working in a high-capacity, mission-critical web serving environment
- Windows and UNIX/LINUX server experience, including expertise in system installation, configuration, administration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, preventative maintenance, capacity planning, monitoring, and security procedures
- Web (IIS, Apache) and Java application (Tomcat, Jboss, etc) server expertise including installation, administration, configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, preventative maintenance, capacity planning, monitoring, and security procedures
- Experience in at least two relevant scripting or programming languages (Perl, Ant, Shell, etc.)
- Database Administration - setup, configuration and basic database troubleshooting skills
- Understanding of internet standards such as HTTP, DNS, FTP, SSH, HTML, XML, JDBC, SNMP and other protocols
- Understanding of high availability hardware systems design and implementation including cluster management, redundancy and failover testing
- Knowledge of storage systems (RAID Array, SAN, NAS, etc)
- Experience hardening and maintaining secure systems (Visa CISP or PCI experience a plus!)
- Knowledge of content management systems and publishing systems
- Network hardware architecting experience with load balancing equipment, switches, routers, and network troubleshooting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills when working with technical groups
- Ability to produce system documentation, including writing requirements, operational specifications, system architecture, test plans and as-built documentation, all with attention to detail
- Ability to work within formal processes that assure a quality product and operational integrity
- Three to five years experience designing and/or deploying and supporting Internet-based products or services
Job Posting Industries
- B.S. in computer science or related field or equivalent experience in technical operations or software engineering
This position is with the legal entity Disney Worldwide Services
iCIMS Social Distribution - 24 months ago