The Spent Fuel Packaging Facility Projects organization has an immediate opening for a Mechanical Project Engineer (MPE) knowledgeable in mechanical systems and methods. The MPE serves on project teams and as the project engineer for facility improvement projects in this SFPF and ECF. The MPC is the expert on assigned projects and is responsible for troubleshooting and repair, system upgrades and infrastructure improvements required to successfully complete assigned projects on schedule and within budget. The MPE conducts field inspections to ensure the project meets technical specifications and regulatory/administrative requirements.
- Delegated engineering responsibility for all aspects of assigned tasks with guidance on non-routine task, and occasional guidance on routine tasks. Resolve issues in area of cognizance.
- Delegated responsibility for the study, design, application, analyses, test or preparation of specifications and processes for systems, materials, equipment or components.
- Provide technical support and oversight for field operations.
- Team with other engineers performing related phases of the technical work to ensure integration of activities and plans.
- Prepare project plans to accomplish assigned work. Identify and complete performance measures, including post job assessments. Meet project and scheduler requirements.
- Communicate status on periodic basis to immediate management.
- Perform analytical evaluations which may include the development and application of computer models.
- Expand on understanding of component and system interrelationships.
- Prepare revisions to technical manuals, reports or procedures in accordance with NR program quality standards.
- Design, develop, and support the execution and implementation of engineering research and design projects.
- Understand and implement the BMPC engineering policies and procedures in area of cognizance.
- Obtain and retain necessary qualifications to perform assigned duties.
Special knowledge and/or training preferred: EEW and ERW preferred. Project Management training preferred. Must have effective oral and written communications skills and be able to effectively interact with all levels of personnel, management, subcontractors and NR. Must have excellent organizational skills to manage all documentation associated with effective engineering practices. The individual will be capable of making decisions regarding methods independently and complete assigned tasks under minimal supervision and technical direction.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering (or another engineering degree with mechanical experience) from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience (NRF preferred); or
- MS degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Experience with CAD software and subcontracting is preferred. Must be able to work independently and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
Specific Duties may include:
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Make decisions regarding methods and provide technical assistance for assigned projects.
- Complete assigned tasks under minimal supervision and technical direction.
- Author project submittals.
- Write work task for subcontractors.
- Write technical work documents and EFM work requests.
- Perform costs and schedule estimates for projects.
- Review and interpret drawings and specifications to determine if information is adequate for successful completion of projects.
- Provide technical support in all phases of the project.
- Maintain records of assigned projects and systems.
- Performs verification of work in progress to ensure requirements of technical drawings, codes and specifications are met.
Bettis Laboratory and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory are operated for the Department of Energy by Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation. The Bettis and KAPL Laboratories, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Niskayuna, New York, respectively, develop naval nuclear propulsion systems. Our team of over 6,000 people design the world’s most technologically advanced reactor plants and systems, and we support the U.S. fleet of nuclear-powered ships. The Laboratories train enlisted and officer propulsion plant operators at the Charleston, SC and West Milton, NY facilities and operate a one-of-a-kind reactor core examination facility in Idaho Falls, ID.
All candidates must be U.S. citizens. Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter.
BMPC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Workforce Diversity.
Bechtel Bettis - 2 years ago
Bechtel (www.bechtel.com) is a global engineering, construction and project management company with more than a century of experience on...