The James and Grace Lee Boggs School is a community-based school opening in the Islandview Village neighborhood on Detroit’s east side. Its mission is to nurture creative, critical thinkers who contribute to the well-being of their communities.
We are looking for Elementary Certified Classroom Teachers to provide excellent academic instruction in a non-traditional teaching and learning environment and to model and assess non-cognitive habits such as collaboration, critical thinking, creativity and resourcefulness, grit, and mastery. Our teachers will participate in collaborative decision-making and planning, while taking an active role in school governance. Classroom Teachers will implement the school's missionand educational philosophy, as well as support the school’s surrounding community.
Please visit our website to familiarize yourself with our mission and vision to determine compatibility. www.boggseducationalcenter.org
Bachelors Degree required; current Michigan Teaching Certificate (Elementary) and Highly Qualified Teacher status required
- Develop lesson plans and provide academic instruction
- Collaborate authentically, meaningfully, and regularly with parents and community members
- Keep precise records
- Interact closely and productively with other school staff
- Participate meaningfully in a professional learning community with colleagues
- Be willing to re-imagine and transform the traditional classroom teacher role to include responsibilities that meet the school’s mission
At least three years classroom experience preferred