Department (s): Facilities
Location: UST Campus
Schedule Hours: Regular office hours
The University of St. Thomas ( www.stthom.edu ), a private university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking an experienced Staff Architect. The Staff Architect, under the direction of the AVP for Facilities, is responsible for the preparation and review of architectural designs for University of St. Thomas expansion, alterations, and renovation programs. The position is responsible for organizing all necessary architectural services necessary for construction. Oversees the work of selected contractors to ensure the work is being done according to contract, budget, and design specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare architectural plans, sections, elevations, details, presentation materials and other drafting tasks for campus projects of limited size to include:
- Prepare preliminary sketches of projects to present to University administration.
- Develop schematic studies for all facilities and renovation projects.
- Prepare and coordinate the development of detailed working drawings and specifications.
- Review and critique proposals made by consultant architects for the University’s growth and expansion projects.
- Examine projects under construction and ensure the maintenance of sound architectural standards.
- Assist with the bid process which includes ensuring that the project is thoroughly explained to contractors and assist with the bid review process.
- Develop cost estimates and construction material recommendations working in partnership with external contractors.
- Monitor and examine expenditures of funds of established project budgets.
- Review general contractor qualifications.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- Minimum 5 years’ experience under the direct supervision of a licensed Architect required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with Auto-Cad expertise required.
- Must thoroughly working knowledge of City of Houston building Codes.
- LEED experience desirable.
- Must demonstrate a high level of knowledge of architecture and architectural principles and techniques.
- Must demonstrate the thorough knowledge of the different types of building materials and construction methods.
- Must demonstrate the thorough knowledge of structural, mechanical and electrical engineering related to business costs.
- Must demonstrate effective communication skills both verbal and written.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment while collaborating with technical professional staff.
- Must have work experience where project management was an important component.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field required
- Registration as an Architect in the State of Texas required.
- LEED certified desirable.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position
Please e-mail letter of interest, and resume to:
Human Resources – Ref: 0913
University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006
The American Institute of Architects - 8 months ago