Job Number: HFB - HW 10
Close Date: N/A
Location: Haselwood YMCA
Job Type: Part Time
Starting Wage: $9.19/hr depending on qualifications
Shift: Early AM, AM, afternoon, evenings, weekends
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is seeking talented, experienced, and enthusiastic instructors to teach aerobic and/or group fitness classes, 30 to 75 minutes in duration, implementing the proper guidelines of aerobic exercise. Each class, depending on the format, should be designed to improve one or more of the four components of fitness: flexibility, strength, muscular endurance, and cardio-respiratory conditioning, and to enhance the mission of the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties.
The Haselwood Family YMCA is a part of YMCA's Activate America national initiative that is committed to:
• Supporting those who want to lead a healthy lifestyle, but struggle to do so.
• Being an integral part of our community's efforts to make long-lasting changes that support healthy living.
• Working in collaboration through partnerships with public, private and other nonprofit organizations.
• Confidently lead an aerobic or group fitness class that uses and demonstrates current safety guidelines.
• Perform aerobic/fitness moves that demonstrate different intensity levels to meet the various fitness levels of participants.
• Arrive fifteen minutes before and remain fifteen minutes after class. This allows time to prepare music and equipment and promote member interaction. Begin and end class as scheduled.
• Promote a friendly and courteous environment that is consistent with the YMCA mission and values.
• Demonstrate an interest and enthusiasm in the continuous learning and sharing of new skills and ideas.
• Present a professional appearance and be supportive of other instructors, staff, members, and YMCA programs.
• Be willing to train and team-teach with volunteers, promoting the Mentor Program.
• Reach Health Seekers: A person who has passion for serving people, someone who naturally builds relationships and connect with our members who struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
• Listen First Technique: Must be a great listener. Willingness to strategically listen and obtain relevant information to create an individualized experience for every member.
• Recruit a volunteer to connect new members to current members in class.
Branch Team Member and YMCA Values
• Model the YMCA values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility through fun, positive relationships with members and staff. Seek every opportunity to encourage, motivate and thank fellow staff members for their work.
• Be enthusiastic toward members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities. Strive to enrich their Y experience by introducing them to new programs, staff, members and volunteer activities.
• Understand the Y's mission, goals, objectives and programs to better relay this information to members for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
Professional Image and Development
• Maintain a consistent, professional image through dress, actions and relationships with members. Speak enthusiastically on behalf of the Y at given opportunities.
• Participate in applicable training and conferences to further professional growth as outlined in annual training plan.
• Attend and participate in staff meetings as requested.
• Represents the YMCA and self in a professional manner of safety and fun.
• 6+ months of group exercise teaching experience
• College degree in Exercise Science or Physiology and/or a current ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA or a nationally recognized certification.
• The ability to demonstrate skills and effectively lead a safe aerobic/group exercise class
• Knowledge of the fitness components of an aerobic or group exercise class
• CPR / First Aid required or within 30 days
• Completion of YMCA Healthy Life Styles and Group Exercise Foundations w/in 90 days of employment
YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties - 21 months ago