At Lulu, our passion is success — success for creators, success for us. You’ll notice who comes first. We’re committed to empowering creators of all kinds, from proud grandmas to aspiring bestsellers, with the tools and services they need to share knowledge and inspiration with the world. We work tirelessly on their behalf, because when they succeed, so do we.
That’s not to say we’re all work and no play. Lulu is an open workplace with fun, energetic people united for a common purpose. In fact, we don’t even refer to each other as employees. We’re team members. Or Lulus. Or Lunatics. (The reason for that last one will become obvious when you happen upon a Nerf war. Or find your desk toilet papered on your birthday!) We foster a culture that encourages individual personality to shine through and attracts top talent.
Lulu is hiring a Senior Database Administrator , responsible for delivery of all database services company-wide. Primary responsibilities will include production database availability, replication, backup/recovery, DR, reporting/BI, 24x7 on-call rotation, and working with software development teams. This position will work with Oracle and MySQL databases.
The Senior DBA must drive operational excellence in Lulu’s database environments and demonstrate thought leadership around database technology. This position must
also demonstrate strong ownership of database-related problems and incident resolution.
- Ensure 24x7 operation of Lulu’s mission-critical database systems.
- Perform common database administration tasks for Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL relational database systems including tuning, capacity planning, backups and DR.
- Perform common system administration tasks for Linux DB servers running on Intel x86 and VMware platforms.
- Enhance operational standards and policies for Lulu’s DB environments using industry experience, best practices, and Lulu’s business needs.
- Collaborate with global software development teams to enhance organizational standards for SQL and increase data modeling competencies
- Provide thought leadership on data modeling, RDBMS, and database infrastructure strategies.
- Develop and implement strategies for executing DDL in 24x7 on-line systems without service interruption.
- Identify and resolve performance problems with all database systems, collaborating with software development teams when necessary.
- Work with QA and IT teams to ensure data security for production, stage, and
- Participate in 24x7 IT operations on-call rotation (approximately 1 week per month)
- 5 or more years in a DBA position
- 5 or more years experience in database server and SQL performance analysis and tuning
- 5 or more years experience scripting and automating DBA tasks using tools like bash, Perl, Python, etc.
- 3 or more years experience data modeling and schema design
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage expectations of multiple stakeholders such as software developers, systems administrators, and BI analysts
- Experience supporting 24x7x365 database operations
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical groups
- Experience with Unix/Linux system administration
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- PostgreSQL database administration
- MySQL database administration
- NoSQL database administration
- Storage administration (SAN, NAS, DAS, LVM)
- VMware virtualization
- Data warehouses, OLAP schema design, ETL, and BI reporting tools
- Software development, covering the full SDLC
- Agile programming methodologies (Scrum, XP)
Lulu.com - 22 months ago