Adult Services Supervisor
NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
Nampa Public Library
February 12, 2013
Please post or otherwise make available the following information. The City of Nampa Library has an opening for a full-time Adult Services Supervisor .
The City of Nampa is committed to ensuring equal opportunities to all individuals. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resource Director at 468-5437. TDD Relay Service: US West 1-800-377-3529 or 7-1-1.
Salary : $3,329 per month plus excellent benefits. Exempt position
Hours: Generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however the incumbent must be able to work flexible and varied hours.
The Nampa Public Library is seeking qualified candidates for the Adult Services Supervisor position. This position reports to the Library Director, and supervises a staff of four (4) full-time and employees and one (1) part-time employee in collection development and adult programming. As a member of the library management team, the position will work cooperatively with other managers and assist in creating and realizing library goals.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to direct day to day operations, coordinate activities, manage personnel, and ensure the efficiency of the assigned work area within the Nampa Public Library. The Library Services Supervisor has overall responsibility and accountability for providing planning and direction to multiple functions within the Nampa Public Library. The incumbent coordinates services and manages the daily operation with an emphasis on ensuring quality service for patrons. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Library Director, good initiative and independent judgment are expected of these employees. Effective working relations will be established and maintained with library staff and Department Heads, other City employees and Departments, and the general public.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
1. Develops, recommends and administers policies, procedures and processes in support of the library operations in collaboration with other library supervisors; implements and monitors compliance with approved policies, procedures and processes.
2. Responsible for all work performed by assigned staff, to include, hiring, training, coaching, evaluating, disciplining, and recommendation of dismissal if necessary.
3. Insures that customers receive the best quality service within established guidelines. Reports staffing issues and needs to the Director.
4. Plan, develop and organize the resources of the department to best meet the objectives of the library.
5. Participates as a member of the library’s management team, identify and recommend changes to library procedures, plans, policy, and goals.
6. Work cooperatively with other department heads to improve the library.
7. Directs the management of assigned library collections through selection, ordering, and weeding, while ensuring that the budget is not exceeded. Is aware of available materials and patron preferences.
8. Leads the planning of the department’s public programs schedule for the year, identifying ideas, resources, and training needed to provide engaging and enriching services for the department’s assigned population.
9. Participates in authorized community activities as a representative of the library, to develop a cooperative working relationship with citizens and community organizations.
10. Meets with individuals and groups concerning library issues and works towards mutually acceptable resolution of concerns.
11. Actively learns and develops skills necessary to grow as a librarian and employee. Is a member of professional associations’ and attends conferences, presenting as possible.
12. Identifies appropriate training and requests opportunity and resources to attend.
13. Offers mentoring to others within the library and the library community.
14. Assumes responsibility for other duties as required or assigned.
a. Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
b. Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
ESSENTIAL RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS
1. Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
2. Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
3. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
4. Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
5. Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
6. Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others.
7. Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed
Substantial knowledge of Nampa city and library policies.
Substantial knowledge of the mission, vision and goals of the Nampa Public Library.
Substantial knowledge of assigned department procedures and functions.
Substantial knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of management, planning, leadership and supervision.
Substantial knowledge of assigned department budget, materials and resources.
Substantial knowledge of staff management, including selection, training, counseling, performance evaluation and record keeping.
Substantial knowledge of library resources, print and non-print, which may include but are not limited to catalogs, indexes, reference materials, circulating and non-circulating collections, and audio-visual equipment.
Substantial knowledge of community resources, libraries, and other information sources.
Substantial knowledge of current issues and events.
Ability to assist in developing, implementing, documenting and achieving Library goals and objectives.
Ability to organize and prioritize work, establish and maintain appropriate organizational structure and delegate authority to accomplish goals and objectives.
Ability to direct, motivate, train and lead a diverse staff.
Assist staff plan, design, direct and deliver programs to meet clientele needs.
Ability to use library equipment necessary to complete assigned duties, including but not limited to new electronic devices, a computer, microfiche, microfilm, and copy machine.
Ability to address issues with diplomatic skill.
Ability to work without close supervision.
Ability to assist patrons and library staff as needed.
Ability to perform assigned duties and responsibilities in a timely manner.
Ability to conduct basic troubleshooting of computer problems and other equipment malfunctions.
Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language and deal with a wide range of persons, including situations in which individuals may be upset over some issue involved with City activities and policies.
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions, use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions, and prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Ability to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks and the ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
Ability to understand and apply policies, procedures, and instructions, use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions as requested, and presents good information and recommendations.
Integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Master's Degree in closely related field and two years related library experience; OR, four to six years progressively responsible related library experience
Considerable (4-6 years) experience library operation experience, including supervisory experience; or any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone and related equipment and use primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form and perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to function within a general library environment
Light work – exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
Special Conditions : The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and background check.
Dates to Submit Application : Applicant must submit an online application; resumes will not be taken in lieu of the application. Position information and online application may be found online at: www.cityofnampa.us . Applicant may apply online until 5:00 P.M., February 25, 2013.
Position may close prior to closing date.
The City of Nampa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Nampa - 23 months ago