This position was posted on 1/11/2013
Your Team : Purchasing
The Purchasing team is responsible for the procurement of and contracts for all goods and services related to USAC operations. We deal with a variety of cross-business disciplines to analyze and recommend purchasing opportunities including, but not limited to, decisions on construction, healthcare, IT technology, consultants, office supplies, professional development and more. As such, the entire team is constantly gaining knowledge and becoming experts in all major aspects of purchasing. We’re looking for detail-oriented, adaptable and articulate individuals to join our fast-paced, multi-disciplinary work environment.
Your Role: Purchasing Specialist II
You’ll be responsible for negotiating and purchasing equipment, supplies, and basic services from vendors. You’ll leverage your knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices and procedures within the professional field of purchasing, while also using USAC-specific processes and your general aptitude for business to plan and accomplish goals. Most importantly, you’ll support your internal customers by individually, or through team management, writing requirements statements and evaluating vendor quotations and proposals to determine the best supplier for each project.
- Assuring and maintaining a smooth purchasing process from initial request to invoice payment
- Preparing bids and negotiating specifications
- Developing potential bidders to ensure a competitive procurement process
- Evaluating vendor quotes and services to determine optimal suppliers and best value
- Executing a planned negotiation strategy, coordinating that strategy with other technical experts involved, and participating in negotiations conducted with vendors to develop contract pricing and terms
- Facilitating small- and medium-sized purchases, leveraging the corporate credit card program as necessary
- Aiding in the preparation of contractual provisions and the administration of contract proposals
- Maintaining purchasing-related documentation, the status of purchases in progress, and contact close-out
- Following established acquisition policies, programs and procedures that enhance operational efficiencies and promote cost effectiveness including standardization where possible
- Analyzing and reviewing all phases of the acquisition program to provide continuous improvement with the added goal of writing new or updating existing procedures
- Other duties, as assigned
The following skills are desired:
- You have 3 to 4 years of experience performing duties similar to those outlined above
- You have at least 3 years in contracting and procurement
- You have previous experience leading small cross-functional, ad-hoc teams formed for specific acquisition projects
- You possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and/or university (preferably in Business, Finance, Purchasing, Procurement, or Contracting)
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office products, and can competently use them (especially Excel) to create deliverables
- You love working in teams and as a team member, doubly so within cross-functional teams for large initiatives
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and are able to communicate information concisely and professionally
- You are a self-starter who is organized and can easily manage multiple workstreams
- You are an analytical thinker who can analyze problems in order to develop solutions and recommendations
If interested, please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com .
- You have previous exposure to Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR)
- You can easily conduct cost/benefit analyses
- You have previous experience with a corporate credit card program
USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only principals will be accepted. No agencies please.
The Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) is an independent, not-for-profit corporation designated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) as the administrator of the federal universal service fund (USF). USAC collects universal service contributions from telecommunications carriers and administer universal service support mechanisms (programs) designed to help communities across the country secure access to affordable telecommunications services. Through administration of these programs, USAC provides support for high cost companies in rural areas, low-income consumers, rural health care providers, and schools and libraries.
USAC and its dedicated professional staff have expertise in all areas of administering federal universal service programs. As the administrator, USAC operates with a strong commitment to protecting the integrity of the fund and helping ensure affordable access to telecommunications services for communities across the country. This shared sense of purpose shapes a professional and diverse environment that encourages employees to grow and learn throughout their USAC careers. USAC offers a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing professional development opportunities, and balance between the demands of work and life. Our open-door policy promotes teamwork and collaboration. We invite you to apply and learn more about joining our team.
Universal Service Administrative Company - 2 years ago