As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
General Dynamics IT has an immediate opening for a Linux Systems Administrator at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.
Provides technical support on complex network and systems integration and management issues. Technician interacts with other personnel from various disciplines. This position works with senior technical staff and project personnel to assure compliance with project standards and the timely delivery of services.
Provides technical expertise in systems operation and maintenance. Performs installation and maintenance of client/server software, receives and diagnoses user problems related to telecommunications and connectivity problems, assisting in data communications and transfers, configuration of user log-on routines, management of computer systems security, and maintenance of application servers, file servers, print servers, workstations, and associated peripherals. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems. The position will identify system performance requirements based on analysis of projected user demand and concept of operation. Develops and implements testing strategies and document results. Maintains current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications as assigned. Comprehensive knowledge of desktop operating systems and applications.
1. Manages the functionality and efficiency of a group of computers running on one or more operating systems.
2. Maintains the integrity and security of servers and systems.
3. Sets up administrator and service accounts.
4. Maintains system documentation
5. Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products.
6. Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery.
7. Develops and monitors policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources.
8. May program in an administrative language.
9. Develops and implements testing strategies and document results.
10. Provides advice and training to end-users.
11. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced staff members.
12. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
13. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
8+ years of directly related experience in systems administration and analysis.
Must have at least eight years' experience, of which at least five must be specialized in information systems development, functional and data requirements analysis, systems analysis and design, programming, program design, and documentation preparation. Must also have a demonstrated experience in the implementation of information engineering projects; systems analysis, design and programming using CASE and IE tools, Environmental Management Systems (EMS), GIS, and methods; and three to five years of business or functional experience. Must demonstrate the ability to work independently or under only general direction.
Additional Qualifications Required:
1. Comprehensive knowledge of the principals, methods, and techniques used in Linux systems administration and support.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of related hardware and software.
3. Professional Certification(s) may be required, depending on job assignment.
4. 2-4 year Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS Experience in a Data Center Environment
5. Experience in security fundamentals and server hardening
6. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Virtualization Experience is a plus
7. Python or other scripting language such as Perl or bash experience is a plus
8. Troubleshooting and issue solving skills.
9. Familiarity with virtualization a plus.
Security Clearance Level: NOAA Background Check
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
National Agency Check (NLC)
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
General Dynamics - IT - 2 years ago
General Dynamics Corporation (General Dynamics) offers a portfolio of products and services in business aviation; combat vehicles, weapons...