JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of legal related tasks under the direct supervision of a trial attorney. Assists in the preparation and trial of lawsuits, scheduling and coordinating pre-trial proceedings, participating in discovery activities, drafting motions, pleadings and subpoenas, obtaining witnesses and associated administrative duties. May also perform clerical duties.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Managing or Associate Managing Attorney
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews office files and responds to routine correspondence. Assists attorney in legal research, file management and case progression activities.
2. Drafts interrogatories and other discovery as well as pleadings, motions and orders for approval by attorney.
3. Obtains, compiles and analyzes records for discovery. Analyzes and responds to incoming discovery. Reviews and analyzes medical records.
4. Prepares experts/other witness and assists with any other pre-trial and/or trial activities as needed.
5. Coordinates depositions as needed. Summarizes and/or indexes depositions, and upon completion of discovery, summarizes and indexes all documents and information.
6. Drafts jury instructions. Drafts and issues necessary subpoenas.
7. Coordinates trial dates and coordinates appearances and testimony with clients and witnesses.
8. Coordinates and attends interviews/meetings with clients and/or witnesses as necessary to ensure proper case development.
9. Arranges for medical and expert witnesses and coordinates their time.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Undergraduate studies in business administration, insurance or other related area preferred.
Designations: Certification in paralegal studies or equivalent experience.
Experience: Entry-level position; legal experience preferred but not required if incumbent holds the appropriate degree and/or certificate.
Knowledge: General knowledge of operation, practices and procedures of a law office engaged in civil litigation. General knowledge of filing procedures of relevant courts and administrative agencies.
Skills/ Competencies: Verbal and written communication skills for contact with employees, attorneys, clients and customers. Ability to operate a personal computer and related legal and business software and data bases. Ability to design and maintain filing and tickler follow-up systems. Ability to effectively prioritize work. Ability to acquire skills and/or knowledge necessary to research information and determine the applicability of legal action.
Staffing Exceptions: Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: VP, Trial Division and HR Officer.
Overtime eligibility: Eligible (non exempt)
Working Conditions: Professional law office environment. Occasional travel.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to performs a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be requires as part of the selection process.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 21 months ago