The primary purpose of the Manager of Safety is to be responsible for ensuring safety-related best practices throughout all of the Love’s family entities. Responsibilities include: planning, implementing and directing strategies and programs to ensure a safe and secure working environment. The Manager of Safety is also responsible for developing and monitoring programs designed to promote continuous improvement of health and safety areas of the company’s operations. The Manager will work closely to support, assist and direct transportation, terminal, rail, retail, environmental, maintenance and corporate personnel. The Manager is responsible for overseeing and managing 2 additional safety personnel.
- Responsible for identifying potential risks and various hazards throughout the organization.
- Responsible for regularly monitoring, inspecting, and auditing safety and security components at physical locations, fleet vehicles, documented training, operations manuals and standard operating procedures.
- Directs safety related investigations to ensure thoroughness, comprehensiveness and accuracy.
- Develops appropriate and active safety strategies to respond to identified claims trends.
- Assists personnel throughout the company in preparing, implementing, tracking and reporting specific safety and security training.
- Directs specific safety and security initiatives including relevant computer based training and manuals and handbooks.
- Advises other departments on safety and security related training matters as necessary.
- Designs programs and assessments to comply with corporate policies, procedures, federal, state, and local laws, regulations and codes.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant standards including, but not limited to; DOT, EPA, FMCSA, OSHA, FRA, NFPA.
- Develops and implements safety related awareness, recognition and incentive programs throughout the organization.
- Coordinates with appropriate personnel to establish guidelines and document and train for disasters for all locations including transports and corporate, retail, and terminal locations.
- Provides technical guidance, support and training necessary to ensure operations at all sites are performed safely.
- Review internal safety policies and practices to ensure they are current and appropriate; conduct hazard and risk assessments and develop new or, where necessary, make recommendations to senior management to amend safety policies and procedures.
- Monitor and manage the execution of Safety programs.
- Identify loss trends and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Develops and implements strategies to reduce accident and incident rates.
- Oversees response crisis situations.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with company policies and procedures related to compliance & safety.
- Other duties assigned as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- HS Diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Safety, Safety Engineering or closely related field. CSP, CIH or advanced safety certification is preferred.
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience developing and implementing safety and compliance programs.
- Must have specific transportation experience including DOT.
- Preferred experience in retail and food service.
- Hard skills: Knowledge in Microsoft Office, requires knowledge, development and implementation of health and safety programs, policies, procedures and processes, working knowledge of applicable regulatory requirements (OSHA, DOT, FRA, PHMSA, and EPA), ability to use the Internet as a research tool
- Soft Skills: Excellent written/verbal communication, ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, government regulations, professional journals; ability to write technical reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a diverse group of managers, customers and the general public; ability to act calm during emergency situations, solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exists; must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines; and must be able to work with a variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds
- Typical Physical Demands:
- Requires prolonged sitting, some bending and stooping.
- Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and calculator.
- Requires normal range of hearing and vision.
- Periodic and sometimes frequent overnight travel (ranging from 5-15 nights per month).
- Must be on call 24/7/365 and must be prepared to travel to emergencies on short notice.
At Love's, our people have been the key to our success since our founding more than 45 years ago. During that time, we have grown from a...