Director, Operations Research
- RockTenn (NYSE: RKT)
RockTenn is one of North America’s leading manufacturers of paperboard, containerboard, consumer and corrugated packaging and one of the world’s largest paper recyclers. Over the years, Rock-Tenn has outpaced its peers in revenues, profitability, EBITDA and stock price. We’ve done this by creating and following a bold strategy of: exceeding our customers' expectations every time, creating long-term shareholder value and encouraging and rewarding employee excellence.
Since its founding in 1936, Rock-Tenn has focused on developing packaging and paperboard products that bring high value to its customers, employees and shareholders. The company now operates approximately 240 facilities across the United States, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and China. We employ 26,000 employees and are North America’s largest paper recycler, largest display manufacturer, largest pre-print linerboard producer, 2nd largest producer of containerboard and corrugated packaging, 2nd largest producer of coated recycled paperboard, and 2nd largest producer of folding cartons.
We are seeking a Director of Operations Research to be located in Norcross, GA. The Director of Operations Research overseas the development and maintenance of operations research models and software products for the company. The position involves supervision mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, service, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation. Supervises associated departmental staff.
Lead Operations Research Activities
- Identify and define business problems such as those in production, logistics, sales and gathers information from those with specialized knowledge of the problem to clarify objectives. Defines requirement and validates information by applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Expeirence using ILOG CPLEX Optimizer's mathematical programming technology.
- Formulate and apply mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists the business with decision making, policy formulation and/or other management functions through solutions that save time, cost, or improve processes.
- Design, conduct and evaluate experimental operation models in cases where models cannot be developed from existing data.
- Use strong quantitative and analytical abilities to integrate and analyze data.
- Develop custom analysis tools (if none are available) in a variety of programming applications and languages.
Participates in Business Case Development
- Partner with business and IT representatives at all levels to assess, initiate, prioritize, refine and drive appropriate technology solutions.
- Ensure that all costs, benefits, and associated spend/benefit timelines are properly understood and included in the business case documents.
- Prepare/Present business case documents in conjunction with Senior IT management.
- Work with the business and IT to ensure that all quantified benefits are measured and tracked appropriately.
- Perform post-investment reviews, understand underlying results, and recommend actions to address plan variances.
Manages / Lead Continuous Improvement Projects
- Manages project lifecycles, including project scope, resources, schedule, initiation, start-up/design, building, and deployment for projects from beginning to end.
- Develops design documents (e.g., product design, business design, etc.) to define project scope and to identify stakeholders.
- Distributes design documents to stakeholders to obtain sign-off, agreement on project costs, and needed resources.
- Develops project plans (e.g., detailed plan, milestones, work breakdown structures, etc.) and assigns tasks to resources for ensuring projects will be completed on time and according to specifications.
- Identifies and negotiates process changes, ownership of processes, and management of project impact.
- Designs and implements communication plans to ensure those affected by projects are informed and updated.
- Follows up with assigned resources formally (e.g., status meetings, etc.) and informally to continuously manage the productivity of the team, project timelines, and deliverables.
- Manages resources and people processes (e.g., performance review, career development, training, staffing, etc.) to ensure the day-to-day administration of processes and formal procedures.
- Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, conferences, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
- Reviews documented career goals and detailed action plans to develop staff personally and professionally.
- Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner for facilitating open communication and encouraging continuous performance improvement.
- Holds staff accountable to established performance levels for achieving individual and group goals.
- Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with RockTenn’s policies and procedures to motivate and foster teamwork.
- Coaches others and provides on-going feedback and support to improve performance.
- Identifies opportunities to involve others in new and challenging work assignments that advance the skills and capabilities of individuals, teams, and the organization.
- Provides salary recommendations consistent with employee performance.
PhD in Operations Research required
At RockTenn, we seek to be the most respected in the industry. Our employees are committed to exceeding their customers' expectations -- every time. If you enjoy this shared commitment to excellence and discovering value where others haven’t we would like you to consider RockTenn as your employer of choice.
Rock-Tenn Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce. M/F/D/V