POSITION SUMMARY: The Senior Recovery Specialist is responsible for investigating, evaluating and resolving subrogation and salvage recovery actions on behalf of Citizens Insurance that may include moderate to severe technical complexity. This position has claims payment authority for claims expenses as designated by management, assists the Recovery Supervisor as needed and acts as Team Lead mentoring other specialists.
This position mandates successful completion of all requirements of Fundamental Claims School, which includes obtaining an overall passing score.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION. THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED.
- Model ethical behavior and execute job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values and ethics policies.
- Direct front line investigation to determine liability and recovery potential.
- Identify carriers of responsible parties.
- Determine liability, subrogation and contribution potential.
- Direct the preservation and management of evidence.
- Hire experts and identify resources for specific activities to further the investigation of a subrogation claim.
- Coordinate with salvage vendors and direct the handling and disposition of salvage recoveries, including insured buybacks.
- Assign, manage and direct litigated claims and use of experts.
- Verify the nature and extent of the loss by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and documentation.
- Research recall information, successor corporations and official records; conduct investigations based on information obtained.
- Negotiate and settle subrogated claims in accordance with Citizens’ policies and procedures.
- Update the claims system to include documentation of all subrogation activities.
- Assist claims department in identifying responsible parties and advancing theories of liability/negligence.
- Perform targeted Operational Reviews to identify subrogation claims.
- Research, analyze, and interpret policy language and state law as it applies to submitted claims.
- Participate in planning strategy and negotiating within scope of authority.
- Document all information that is relevant to a claim and run reports as required.
- Keep current on industry activity and trends.
- Develop and deliver training and mentoring of strategic business partners and internal staff.
- Update relevant manuals and training materials as needed.
- May Conduct Open and Closed File Reviews to evaluate missed subrogation opportunities.
- Represent the company at mediations or legal proceedings, as required.
- Participate in catastrophe response, as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of Claims Management Guidelines and Service Standards.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with internal and external business partners.
- Ability to evaluate details with good analytical skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to recognize problematic situations and put creative solution into effect.
- Ability to train, mentor and guide internal/external business partners and less experienced staff.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong planning and organization skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Skilled in the use of Xactimate.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with skills transferable to insurance OR four years experience relevant to position OR combination of four years in college education and work experience relevant to position.
- 5 or more years of subrogation experience.
- Must possess a valid, active and appropriate Florida adjuster license by first day of employment and maintain it as a condition of continued employment. Appointment required (see below).
- Within 90 days of employment, must successfully complete all requirements of Citizens Fundamental Claims School which includes obtaining an overall passing score.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7 or more years of subrogation experience
- 3 or more years of additional experience handling large property losses
- Active Florida license 620 or 644
- Industry certifications / designations
This position requires the ability to be mobile and operate a motor vehicle. Ability to work in a highly energetic and flexible work environment. Ability to sit, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer. Position may require occasional overnight travel including catastrophe response.