Porter & Chester is looking for Practical Nursing Instructors for our Stratford campus as well as in all of our other locations throughout in Connecticut and Massacusetts.
Qualified candidates will have an RN license and a BSN degree to be qualified to teach.
Practical Nursing Instructor
Reports to: Education Supervisor (ES)
1. Educate and train the students assigned to him/her by the ES to the level of
competence required for graduation as defined in the Institute’s instruction
2. Maintain a safe, quiet, clean, and orderly learning environment in his/her
classroom, lab, and workshop.
3. Advise his/her students regarding any personal problems that are adversely
affecting their academic achievement and to keep the ES informed about these
4. Assist the Career Program Specialists in the placement of graduates by
informing them about any job leads that are revealed during the course of
working with employers.
1. To get to know each of his/her students as individuals and to develop their
confidences so that they will listen to and be influenced by the instructor with
respect to conformance with the Institute’s regulations and in the solution of any
personal problems that are jeopardizing their academic progress.
2. To maintain contact with the employers assigned to him/her by the ES so that the
Branch has ample resources for field trips, keeping the curriculum content up to
date, and for the acquisition of equipment on which students can work.
3. To participate in the continuing improvement of the curriculum content and to
execute in a timely manner the tasks assigned to him/her by the ES.
4. To deliver enthusiastic, well-prepared lectures by always reviewing the relevant
instruction materials in advance of his/her lecture.
5. To repair all equipment damaged during use by his/her students, and if this isn’t
practical, to inform the ES about the needed repairs, and as part of this
responsibility make certain all equipment called for by the instruction materials is
available and in good working order prior to its need in the classroom or lab.
6. In the portion of the Branch’s premises used by the Instructor and his/her
students to keep the losses of Institute property and damage to the premises to
that expected from normal usage and reasonable “wear and tear."
7. Prior to the end of each day’s classes, be sure each student cleans his/her
workplace, disposes of trash, and returns any equipment that belongs to the
Institute to its proper storage location.
8. To keep abreast of changing technology by reading the appropriate professional
publications, participating in relevant professional societies, attending local,
relevant trade shows and conventions, and maintaining personal contact with the
employers of our graduates assigned to him/her by the ES.
9. To maintain neat, accurate records about the accomplishments of his/her
students, enter this data accurately in CLASS, and to process all Route Sheets,
Repair Orders, and other relevant paperwork with accuracy, clarity, and
10. To make sure that his/her instruction time is being distributed equally among
students by maintaining an accurate Daily Attendance Log.
11. To coordinate with the Career Program Specialists to make sure that every
student has a part-time job while he/she is enrolled at the Institute.
12. To be alert for financial problems among his/her students and be sure they seek
the help of the Student Aid Advisor.
a. By means of personal and telephone contact secure and maintain a sufficient
supply of externship sites in physician’s practices, clinics, hospitals, and
medical laboratories located within the area served by the Branch.
b. Arrange for and coordinate with an agreed upon liaison person at each site,
provide the site with evidence of the Institute’s liability insurance, and
document the relationship between the externship and the Institute by means
of the execution of the Institute’s Externship Agreement.
c. Provide the liaison with a copy of the Institute’s outline describing what is
expected of both the externship site and students when they are on the
d. Monitor, record, and grade the performances and attendances of students on
e. Meet with the liaison as needed to maintain a good working relationship and
to evaluate the externship activities.
f. Resolve any problems that come up during the course of an externship and
involve the Education Director if policy or procedural improvements are
g. Promptly remove a student from participation in the externship if his/her
performance, condition of health, or any other valid reason so warrants. The
Education Director’s approval must be secured in advance of the removal.
17. In February and August to review the Instructor Job Description and make any
needed improvements in his/her execution of this job description, and as part of
the review pass on to the ES any improvements that he/she thinks will make the
description more accurate and useful.
18. Perform the instruction related and any other miscellaneous tasks assigned by
1. May not commit the Institute to any expenditure.
2. May not punish students in any way other than to suspend them from classes for
a maximum of two days after having discussed the matter with the ES and
secured his/her approval to do so.
3. May not write a letter or note as an Instructor of the Institute to a student or any
member of the Public without prior approval of the document by the ES, who has
also secured the prior approval of the Education Director.
4. May not speak in public as a representative of the Institute without the ES’s prior
approval, who has also secured the prior approval of the Education Director.
5. May not administer medicine or any palliative to a student or anyone else on the
Institute premises unless it is on the authorized list of contents for the Branch’s
first aid kit.
6. May not move or administer treatment to an injured person on the Institute’s
7. May not allow anyone other than currently enrolled students on the Institute
premises unless prior authorization has been received from the ES, who has also
secured the prior approval of the Education Director.
8. May not approve a student’s absence from classes.
9. May not provide anyone (including the student) with originals or copies of
documents in a student’s file. All such requests are referred to the ES.
Porter and Chester Institute - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard