The NEON project is collecting 30 years of data in a variety of formats to support scientific inquiry into and education about ecologically relevant topics (e.g. climate and land-use change). There is a need to develop engaging and relevant education materials supporting the use of NEON data for ecological applications, for a variety of audiences to facilitate broadened use of NEON data. In addition, multimedia training videos and self-guided tutorials are needed to prepare NEON staff to collect field data, maintain environmental sensors, and use IT systems.
As a member of the Education and Public Engagement team at NEON, the Multimedia Specialist is responsible for working with various content specialists to translate their ideas into effective and user-friendly videos, animations and other multimedia interactive materials that will be presented online. This person must have experience with creating multimedia projects that can work cross-platform and on a variety of hand-held devices. Outcome products will primarily used in (1) educational modules and (2) general outreach efforts, and (3) training materials and self-guided tutorials for NEON staff.
(Temp position for 8-10 months, 20-40 hrs/week)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• In collaboration with subject-matter experts, design, develop, maintain and produce a variety of interactive educational, outreach and communication materials that contain multimedia, animation, audio and video components.
• Create engaging web-based multimedia products that clearly and creatively translate key science and data concepts to an intended audience.
• Provide multimedia expertise to develop training videos and self-guided tutorials to support preparation of NEON staff to collect biological field data, maintain environmental sensors, use IT systems and other staff training needs.
• Photograph, videotape, record audio.
• Develop and oversee a searchable, well-documented photo and video library.
• Create web-based video demos that demonstrate the use of open source software to process data.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Bachelor's degree or higher required, plus knowledge and proficiency in development of rich interactive multimedia products and electronic publishing tradecraft.
• Five (5) or more years design/work experience.
• Diverse multimedia design portfolio that demonstrates current production methods for web, online, email, motion graphics, video, audio.
• Demonstrated experience developing multimedia educational resources that integrate a variety of audio, video and motion graphic components to create graphically engaging and creatively presented multimedia content.
• Demonstrated experience using multimedia authoring and packaging tools including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Captivate, Articulate and Flash to create motion graphic and video outputs.
• Experience developing interactive media that runs on mobile platforms (IOS & Android Tablets and smart phones).
• Demonstrated ability to understand and translate scientific or other complex content into accessible, online media.
• Knowledge of video / audio storyboarding, production, and editing.
• Experience developing / supporting development of engaging content that disseminates complex ideas for a variety of audiences.
• Very effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to balance self-directed work while being an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Preferred degree/coursework in natural sciences, environmental science and/or science education, or demonstrated experience in multimedia dissemination of scientific concepts.
• Awareness and understanding of instructional approaches for online science learning such as online courses, learning modules for students, and professional development resources for educators.
• Experience teaching / developing education content in support of scientific inquiry.
• Ability to understand and communicate complex information expressed in numbers, charts or equations
• Creative illustration skills.
• Experience with 3d modeling tools (e.g. Maya, Lightwave, 3d Studio Max, SketchUp).
• Experience with content management systems (Drupal, WordPress, etc).
• Experience in optimizing audio and video components for web, mobile and desktop environments.
• Experience developing for both Mac and PC end-user platforms.
NEON Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
NEON, Inc. - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard