Director Digital Product Management - BlueSky
Job ID : 2013-15290
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 2/8/2013
Job Location: US-MA-Boston
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Product Management
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Director, Product Management ensures achievement of strategic revenue objectives for the BlueSky product program by partnering with Pearson publishers and business units to identify customer needs and execute solutions to meet those needs. This person plays a strategic and proactive role in product planning and design and takes responsibility for all aspects of bringing new BlueSky-based Pearson products to market. He or she is involved with the product throughout all stages of life cycle (idea, definition, development, release, and post-release activities). This person is a BlueSky product advocate to our business partners while representing the needs of business partners and customers to the BlueSky product and engineering teams.
The BlueSky project includes both the development of customer-facing products as well as the Content Services Gateway (CSG) that enables those products in a way that is extensible to other product teams, both inside and outside of Pearson. So in addition to building out successful product programs with our Pearson publishing partners, the Director, Product Management will develop 2nd Party and 3rd Party API programs to help realize the business potential of CSG more broadly.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop strategic partnerships with Pearson publishers and business units to forge product plans based on BlueSky vision and business needs.
- While serving individual product initiatives, drive overall coherence of product programs and product strategy
- Manage cultivation and prioritization of the BlueSky product programs roadmap that informs the BlueSky product development roadmap.
- Work closely with other members of the product management team, engineering team, marketing, sales, and other internal stakeholders to build upon, evolve, and communicate the BlueSky vision, product abilities and roadmap.
- Evolve our 2nd Party and 3rd Party CSG API programs – both strategically and operationally.
- Responsible for the successful delivery of BlueSky products into the market place and accountable to others for maintaining relevant scope and meeting timelines
- Prioritize competing projects and daily workload of team as well as individual assignments
- Troubleshoot and facilitate the resolutions of customer and product issues
- Evaluate new technologies and product trends that may be inform future releases of our products
- Manage and prioritize product requirements throughout the product development lifecycle
- Evaluates new technologies that may be incorporated into future releases of the product or product family
- Analyze customer product use and feedback to develop market-driven product improvement programs and to identify design and feature priorities
- Analyze user trends and identifies scalability initiatives needed to support the ongoing use of the product or product family
- Partner with Marketing on market analysis and competitive analysis projects to guide BlueSky product programs
- Partner with Marketing in crafting BlueSky marketing position and public relations messages
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will have shared responsibility for the vision, scope, and market deployment of new or existing product lines. This position does not currently include people management responsibilities. Over time, as the team grows, this position definition may grow to include people management responsibility. Candidates should have people management skills and experience and be prepared to hire and manage as needed.
Relocation is not available for this position. Ideal candidate will be located in/near Boston, MA.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years in product development or management; or equivalent education and experience to successfully perform job duties
- Business plan development experience.
- Understanding of customer needs in the eLearning industry, especially in customized learning solutions; ability to research customer needs in the market
- Ability to present ideas and plans clearly, and confidently to all levels of management and customers
- Excellent customer service attitude, communication skills (written and verbal), and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with Pearson Publishers to develop and execute new product plans that are truly innovative from both a market and Pearson technology perspective
- Ability to participate effectively and build consensus on a cross-functional team
- Ability to perform cost/benefit financial analysis on new product opportunities
- Must have technical understanding of online education, publishing and multi-media products
- Knowledge of software development processes
- Ability to manage multiple projects during the same time period effectively
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Detail oriented
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- 2 years ago - save job
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...