Vanguard Soap - a leading manufacturer of Bar Soap products has a great opportunity for an R&D Chemist level 1 (4 year degree with 1+ year of experience)
**Please note there will be no paid relocation for this position - regional candidates preferred.
General Description of Position:
Supports sales effort with development of new products and improvement of operating processes. Will have hands on approach for color matching, researching components and their properties. Oversee some assigned lab paperwork as needed. Work with operations if a color issue or formula issue arises. Work closely with the Technical Manager to develop new formulas and to assist in communications with customers as needed. Maintain a log of all components in lab to make sure that we have adequate amounts on hand for samples. Work with the purchasing group to get needed components for samples. Work with sales coordinator to follow sales priority list on samples.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
1. Operate lab equipment to develop customer samples.
2. Establish and maintain raw material specifications.
3. Preparation of Technical Data Sheets, MSDS, Batch Records Sheets ETC.
4. Color matching of products.
5. Reverse engineering of products.
6. Bar soap and liquid formulation development.
7. Order through purchasing and log all ingredients that come into the lab and maintain chemical list of approved components.
8. Research on formulations and ingredients.
9. Provide guidance to plant personnel in adjusting process batches based on analytical data.
10. Understand basic plant processes.
11. Run stability testing on developed product including heat and freeze thaw.
MACHINES OR EQUIPMENT OPERATED: Lab processing equipment, product development equipment, computers, testing equipment for PH tests, viscosity, solids test., LAB color meter testing, capable of running micro test on liquids.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Would prefer the person have a degree in Chemistry. Experience in personal care products and analytical chemistry would be helpful. Good oral skills, written skills and good problem solving skills.
Vanguard Soap is a leading contract manufacturer of bar soaps and liquid personal care products for branded products companies, retailers, hotels and hospitality distributors. We operate on a 14-acre plant site in Memphis, Tennessee, where the Breazeale family has been making soap since the 1940's.
We are a TN Drug Free workplace - EOE MFDV
We are a registered E-Verify employer