The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is a global investor and advisor committed to promoting projects in its developing member countries that are economically beneficial, financially and commercially sound, and environmentally and socially sustainable. IFC finances private sector investments, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses in the developing world.
The Global Consumer and Social Services Group (CMGCS) is a product and investment group, responsible for setting strategy, sourcing and executing investment transactions in the consumer and social services space globally. CMGCS works closely with other industry investment groups within IFC as well as with appropriate counterparts within the World Bank. We are unique in our global perspective on a range of industries, technologies and development, our long-term approach to investments, our ability to leverage the resources of the entire World Bank Group, and our commitment to maximizing the value of our portfolio companies through sustained assistance. CMGCS has a special unit focusing on real estate and property sector projects. These mainly include investments in the affordable residential housing sector as well as in real estate assets of retail chains, shopping centers, office spaces and warehouses in emerging markets. The sector team is recruiting a senior professional with broad international experience in real estate to join IFC as an Industry Specialist to provide specific sector related business knowledge and expertise for new business processing and portfolio supervision.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Among other duties the specialist will be called upon to:
- For IFC’s investment activities in the real estate sector, assess the technical and commercial feasibility of new investment projects, and provide advice for project improvement; participate in portfolio management of existing projects;
- Promote new projects, build client networks and maintain client relationships;
- Contribute to the development of industry specific and regional investment strategies;
- Further develop knowledge management and benchmarking within the real estate sector;
- Work across boundaries within the Corporation in particular with respect to environmental, social, health and safety issues;
IFC offers a highly challenging and rewarding working environment with outstanding opportunities for professional growth, as well as attractive conditions.
- University Degree, preferably complemented with graduate level (MBA type) education;
- 15+ years of professional operations experience at a senior level in the real estate/commercial property industry, preferably with an international or large regional group;
- Technical expertise, including real estate appraisal and assessment, preferably in the affordable residential housing segment;
- Familiarity with financial management and real estate investment instruments such as REITs, PICs etc.;
- Position requires sound business judgment to identify the strengths and weaknesses of real estate/property sector projects and to provide precise evaluation of technical, commercial, environmental and managerial issues;
- Understanding of and experience with companies involved in M&A transactions, either as an acquirer or a merged company will be a plus;
- Excellent communication skills in both oral and written English; additional languages skills are an advantage;
- Ability to operate in multicultural teams and to work on multiple projects simultaneously is required; and
- International and emerging market experience is important.
All applications will be treated in strictest confidence. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
IFC - 14 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....