Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (CQUIPS), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), in Rockville, MD.
The Agency provides national leadership and administration of programs to improve the quality, safety, efficiency and effectiveness of health care for all Americans. CQuIPS conducts and supports research on the measurement and improvement of the quality of health care and enhancement of patient safety. Two major Agency programs lead by CQuIPS include the Patient Safety Organization and Healthcare-associated Infections research programs. The incumbent will have responsibility contributing to both of these national efforts. (For more information visit: www.pso.ahrq.gov and http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/hais.htm ).
Vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority . Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to positions filled under this announcement.
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions. KEY REQUIREMENTS
U.S. Citizenship is required. DUTIES:
Incumbent serves as a technical expert providing clinical insight into a full range of programmatic activities related to health services research, clinical research evaluation and related disciplines, research methodologies, data development and analysis, and research endeavors on quality measurement, improvement, and patient safety. Responsible for stimulating and developing extramural research activities through the development of grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, and other beneficial mechanisms. Reviews pertinent literature and attends professional meetings and conferences to keep abreast of new developments in clinical aspects of the measurement and improvement of health care quality. Represents the Director and other senior staff in discussions, meetings, and task forces with representatives of national organizations of hospitals, physicians, nurses, third party payers, and other groups representing individuals and organizations from whom advice and information are sought, as appropriate. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Basic Qualification Requirements:
Have a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).]
Additional Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements candidates must also:
Have five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
Note: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov .
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives not authorized.
11. Student loan repayment incentive not authorized.
12. Annual leave for non-federal service not authorized.
13. Physicians Comparability Allowance of up to $30,000 per annum may be paid based on the selected physicians assignment, qualifications, experience, and duration of a negotiated service agreement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
These positions will be filled through Direct Hire Authority (DHA). All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for further consideration.
1. Knowledge of quality improvement and patient safety research programs and priorities which emphasize clinical, behavioral, organizational, financial, policy determinants of health care quality.
2. Ability to develop, manage, and analyze studies/projects related to the quality of health care which focuses on the organization and delivery of those services in a timely, clinically effective, and cost-effective manner.
3. Ability to plan, design, and develop databases and methodological survey instruments/methods to measure the quality of health care.
4. Skill in oral communication.
5. Skill in written communication. BENEFITS:
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc . OTHER INFORMATION:
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...