Compliance and Business Conduct- Sr Counsel East Europe-1304892
Organization : Corporate Staff Groups
Primary Location: USA Region-United States-Minnesota-Maplewood
Job Type: Experienced
3M is seeking Senior Counsel for Central East Europe for Compliance and Business Conduct group located in Moscow, Russia. Be part of what’s next!
Job Summary :
The Senior Counsel for any international area will be 3M’s Compliance & Business Conduct (“C&BC”) leader for the set of subsidiaries in that geography, reporting to and accountable to the Vice President, C&BC. S/he will lead and manage the C&BC for that geographic area. This role will require simultaneous alignment with the central direction from St. Paul, combined with the creativity, cultural sensitivity and a measure of autonomy and judgment necessary to make the program effective and successful in the area. S/he will provide the leadership (Thought, People, and Results) needed to develop and maintain a robust world-class C&BC. S/he will lead other professionals who also ultimately will report to the C&BC organization to ensure alignment with and coverage of business lines, legal entities, geographies and compliance subject matters and will provide subject matter expertise to Area business colleagues. This person will have collaborative relationships with other international area C&BC leaders and with the business management and legal and other support staff colleagues in the area. The ability to lead by persuasion as well as through direct reporting lines is essential.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee and manage area compliance team in alignment with C&BC team in St. Paul. Mentor and develop team members for full employee engagement and performance
- Work to develop area-appropriate strategy, in collaboration with V.P., C&BC and communicate consistently with St. Paul team
- Communicate and work collaboratively with area OGC lawyers and Corporate Audit, Finance, HR and other corporate staff services
- Be an active member of collaborative international leadership team, taking responsibility for project-based assignments
- Travel to area subsidiaries to provide education and training to subsidiary management operating committees and to be a resource to 3M personnel in area
- Provide comprehensive legal services in the area of compliance, including strong familiarity with 3M business conduct policies and knowledge of other substantive compliance laws, including FCPA, UKBA, Dodd-Frank, and anti-corruption laws of subsidiary countries
- Provide "help desk" support for Compliance function; answer questions regarding IA process, reports, red flags, contracts, sponsorships, gifts & entertainment and other issues
- Working with/at the direction of Sr. Compliance Counsel, Investigations (St. Paul), support management of matters relating to substantive areas of compliance law, such as anti-bribery (FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and related local laws) and other significant business conduct issues
- Assist inside and outside counsel and provide guidance to 3M paralegal(s) in compliance investigations; manage document preservation, collection, searching, review and production efforts; managing client and third party interviews; managing reporting and coordinating internal and external teams
- Distribute business conduct and compliance messages and content and provide substantive guidance and training, as needed
- Provide area and local support for post-acquisition due diligence work, including document preservation and collection, interview logistics, local vendor support, and related matters. Obtain privacy opinions from legal affairs lawyers in subsidiary or area
- Assist, advise and educate clients and colleagues globally regarding integrity assessments and influence others to adopt recommended courses of action. In collaboration with Business Compliance staff, conduct regular training of OGC subsidiary lawyers and business contacts
- Serve as contact for clients (i.e., business units and staff groups), outside counsel, and vendors. Provide self-initiated or requested services on a global basis within practice area to clients and colleagues by educating/ training/coaching
- In collaboration with Legal Affairs and C&BC in St. Paul, train and support businesses in the IA process. Train business teams and business compliance staff on the required steps of the IA process; advise on the required IA steps based on the established processes and facts of any situation; approve proposed red flag mitigation plans
- Work with business, subsidiaries and OGC lawyers to develop and test new IA processes. Collect and report metrics and IAs and red flag mitigation
- Assist and support Senior Compliance Manager (St. Paul) in tracking and reporting Management Action Plans (MAPs) coming out of internal subsidiary and business compliance assessments
- Be resource to support and answer questions during surveys and self assessments
- Apply substantive knowledge within practice area, computer software and databases, and corporate policies, procedures, and resources by developing and implementing solutions for productivity enhancements and cost efficiencies. Review outside counsel and other vendor bills for compliance with corporate billing policies. Review bills for outside vendors, and where appropriate, reduce or adjust bills and approve expenditures for work performed by outside vendors. Work with others to make decisions concerning budgeting objectives and resource allocation, manage budget.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited university and licensed attorney
- Minimum 7 years of experience with compliance and business conduct programs, concepts and/or requirements
- Experience with legal and/or compliance practice in one or more of the following locations: Russia, former Soviet Republics and/or Central and Eastern European countries
- Experience at a multi-national organization harmonizing global, country, regional and local objectives and mandates within a business conduct organization
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Track record of working independently with clients
- Experience working on or leading project teams
- Business acumen and an ability to provide legal and compliance advice in the context of strategic business initiatives and goals
- Fluency in Russian or other Eastern European language(s)
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity
- High energy and dedicated to responsive client service
Location: Moscow, Russia
Travel: May include up to 25% local and international travel
Relocation: Is not authorized
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs about 88,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. Be part of what’s next! Join 3M – follow us @3MCareers and learn more at YouTube.com/3MCareers.
Apply now for this exciting opportunity with 3M.
3M is an EEO/AA employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
3M - 14 months ago
At 3M, we pair imaginative thinking with science-based technology to create globally-renowned products. We lead scores of markets: health...