As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
General Dynamics IT has an immediate opening for a Linux Systems Administrator at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.
Provides technical support on complex network and systems integration and management issues. Technician interacts with other personnel from various disciplines. This position works with senior technical staff and project personnel to assure compliance with project standards and the timely delivery of services.
Provides technical expertise in systems operation and maintenance. Performs installation and maintenance of client/server software, receives and diagnoses user problems related to telecommunications and connectivity problems, assisting in data communications and transfers, configuration of user log-on routines, management of computer systems security, and maintenance of application servers, file servers, print servers, workstations, and associated peripherals. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems. The position will identify system performance requirements based on analysis of projected user demand and concept of operation. Develops and implements testing strategies and document results. Maintains current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications as assigned. Comprehensive knowledge of desktop operating systems and applications.
1. Manages the functionality and efficiency of a group of computers running on one or more operating systems.
2. Maintains the integrity and security of servers and systems.
3. Sets up administrator and service accounts.
4. Maintains system documentation
5. Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products.
6. Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery.
7. Develops and monitors policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources.
8. May program in an administrative language.
9. Develops and implements testing strategies and document results.
10. Provides advice and training to end-users.
11. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
12. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
2-5 years of directly related experience in systems administration and analysis.
Additional Qualifications Required:
1. Knowledge of the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures used in systems analysis and design.
2. Proficiency in the use of one or more specific technologies, depending on job assignment.
3. Professional Certification(s) may be required, depending on job assignment.
4. Familiarity with Linux operating systems.
5. Familiarity with virtualization a plus.
Security Clearance Level: NOAA Background Check
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
National Agency Check (NLC)
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT),...