This is a great opportunity to work across platforms to support a site with over 50 million users!
At Memorylane, we're looking for a hybrid mix of Unix Operations Engineer and MySQL/PostgreSQL database administrator who cares about the most effective way of managing over 4T about data. We're actively trying to optimize our technology to move to a cleaner, meaner, leaner setup – you will have significant contribution in understanding our current ERD structure and helping with the optimization and re-platforming effort.
An understanding of Oracle is very helpful, but not required. Besides being a database guru, you have a strong understanding of the UNIX operating system. You are passionate about open source. You believe in the Dev Ops model and the “infrastructure is code” motto. You believe in standardization and version control. You are good at scripting and automation.
Since we are fairly high traffic website with over 50 million members, an understanding of web technology and previous experience managing large production facing websites is a huge plus.
- Design consistent build, deploy and management processes for databases and database changes
- Maintain and administer the large, complex databases that support the Classmates.com website, monitor databases and respond immediately to critical conditions.
- Defuse possible problems before they become critical; ensure database reliability, availability, and performance; and institute and maintain backup and recovery procedures.
- Run load and performance tests on databases, and optimize for performance
- Work with the application support team to identify areas for simplification and unification with system standards for installation, configuration and startup
- Build and improve upon scripts to automate common tasks
- You will be part of a bi-weekly on-call rotation and wear a pager.
- 4-5 years’ experience with Unix Operations, either in systems administration, or application support
- 3-5 years’ experience with MySQL
- 3-5 years’ experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience working on 24/7 production three-tier systems and troubleshooting performance issues
- Solid understanding of unix command line, and o/s fundamentals
- Experience with CVS, SVN and Git
- Experience with perl, and bash scripting. Experience with Python a plus
- Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet or Chef
- Experience with noSQL implementations a plus
- BS or BA from an accredited college or university
- Strong communication skills
Classmates® is the premier online, social, and mobile destination for reconnecting with the people and events from your high school years. Classmates offers the largest digitized collection of high school yearbooks online, with over 160,000 available to view, tag, sign, and share, and has built the most comprehensive directory of high schools and class lists from the 1940s to today.
Join us today! This position is located at our headquarters on Seattle’s waterfront. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), employee stock purchase plan, flexible spending accounts, and much more! Memory Lane d/b/a Classmates ® and the United Online, Inc. family of companies are equal opportunity employers.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org .