This position is responsible for interventions with patients who have complex psychosocial needs, require assistance with eligibility determination for social programs and funding sources and qualify for community assistance from a variety of special funds and agencies. The incumbent offers short term therapeutic counseling and crisis intervention to patients and families with psycho-social needs, and coordinates and facilitates the development of a discharge plan of care for high-risk patient populations which includes accountability for the complex discharge process. Social Workers will receive referrals for individuals from at-risk populations. Social Workers are involved with 100% of some specifically designated patient populations, and may intervene with patients identified as a result of case finding processes. QUALIFICATIONS/KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Requires strong communication skills in giving and receiving information; providing counseling; and developing positive helping relationships with patients and families; physicians; and other members of the health team.
- Requires active licensure in the state of Indiana as a licensed social worker or as a licensed clinical social worker.
- Requires Master's Degree in Social Work.
- Discharge planning experience preferred for acute care settings.
- Requires knowledge of the impact of the disease process and of human behavior to provide psychosocial assessments; short-term therapeutic counseling; and crisis intervention to patients; families; and staff.
- Requires strong clinical assessment; planning; and goal development skills.
- Requires knowledge of community resources and entitlement programs.
- Requires knowledge of state and county adult and child protective legal mandates.
- Requires knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span.
- Requires strong counseling skills to help patients and families understand; accept; and follow medical recommendations.