• Support Naval Research Lab on EO sensor projects from inception at the concept development stage to completion at the product space flight qualification stage. Candidate shall be capable of working all phases of optical subsystems from the conceptual design layout, package prototyping, fixture/tooling design, development of mechanical attachment methods/tools for optimal optical alignment
• Develop error budgets and perform tolerance studies, design requirements and interface documents for instrument optics and optical systems. Develop assembly and test procedures and support all levels of optical subsystem integration and tests
• Support trade studies and recommend system architecture and design approach. Must be capable to lead the development of design concepts for optic handling equipment and support development of test support equipment. Prepare and deliver technical presentations and support project level reviews.
Provide system level analysis support for optical instrument and experiment design, calibration, and verification. Perform optical design and analysis of optical and electro-optical elements, subsystems, and systems that comprise an optical instrument. Specific duties include but are not limited to system end-to-end studies, digital communication signal to noise analysis and wavefront analysis, establishing error and tolerance budgets performing optical design, optical modeling, and optical analysis work, including optical system performance modeling.
The work will generally be in support of flight projects. It may involve other aspects of optical engineering such as evaluating optical test data. The effort may ay involve interpretation of measured optical properties, or may require making optical measurements.
Duties include some or all of:
- optical design trade studies
- supporting integrated modeling such as structural/thermal/optical (STOP) analysis
- requirements flowdown
- error budget analysis
- early project risk reduction hardware testing
Design experience of UV, visible & near infrared space flight instruments is required. Effort requires proficient knowledge and background in ray tracing principals, aberration theory and control, optical performance, detector arrays and performance metrics, radiometry, polarization effects, optical engineering and applications, thin films, physical optics. Experience in optical alignment, error budget and in the preparation of assembly and test procedures is required.
Proficiency in the use of Zemax or Code V Optical Design tools and FRED or ASAP modeling tools is required.
Candidate must be capable of working under minimum to no supervision, lead cross disciplinary efforts and interface with a variety of engineering and science disciplines.
TS/TK Security Clearance is required
Education & Experience:
Master’s degree in Optical or Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering,Physics, Aerospace or equivalent
Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies - 10 months ago
Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT), a space systems engineering, science and IT services company, was founded in 1994. Headquartered in...