WAGE RANGE: $18.89 - $26.44 per hour (DOQ)
PLEASE NOTE: We currently have 3 positions available. Each position will be placed at a level commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: Papillion, NE
The GIS Technician's responsibilities include maintenance of the GIS database, conversion of GIS data for use with other computer programs, data collection, facility modeling, map production, occasional CAD work, and other miscellaneous projects as directed by the Manager of GIS Support and the Senior GIS/CAD Technicians.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, GIS Support
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain the Smallworld GIS. Requires management of the “Work Order” process initiated by Construction Services Representatives to insure that installed facilities are properly mapped and modeled in the Smallworld GIS (QA/QC).
- Model electric facilities for real-time OMS prediction. It is critical that the GIS technician understands electric distribution systems and has the ability to create accurate digital representations of the real-world facilities. This includes management of facility connectivity in the GIS.
- Assign unique identification numbers to electric facilities. It is essential that unique identifiers are assigned to facilities when installed to insure the safety of field crews.
- Produce maps as required for tree-trimming, facility maintenance, facility renumbering, gas leak surveys, etc.
- Collect GPS coordinates for facility as-builting and map accuracy maintenance.
- Effectively communicate with staff at all levels regarding mapping products.
- Check accuracy of mapping system via field verification.
- Diagnose software/hardware compatibility issues related to mapping products.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships within the GIS department and with all Black Hills Corporation employees.
- Maintain professional relationships with vendors and contractors.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships with dispatchers, linemen, servicemen, Construction Service Representatives and Customer Information System technicians.
- One year of experience using a hand-held or survey grade GPS preferred.
- Experience updating and maintaining a utility GIS preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in geography or geographic information systems, CAD or computer science required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge of GIS systems and principles.
- Basic knowledge of relational database management (RDBMS) concepts.
- Basic knowledge of Electric and Gas distribution systems.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare and give presentations and trainings.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and various specialized software.
- Ability to think and act independently and develop creative, analytical solutions to resolve complex problems.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
Black Hills Corporation - 30+ days ago
Black Hills Corporation is a diversified energy company. The Company operates principally in the United States with two business groups: Uti...