The Unix & Linux Administrator provides hands-on day-to-day technical support for Unix & Linux systems. The scope of this position includes support for over a thousand Unix & Linux servers, most of which are located in our Global Datacenters and the others are global in reach.
This individual will be responsible for administration, monitoring, uptime, performance, security, patching and troubleshooting.
Participates in “On Call” and Operations Center schedule.
· Provide technical support and documentation for over 1000 Oracle Solaris or Red Hat Enterprise Linux – both physical and virtual (Solaris Zones, Oracle LDOM, VMware).
· Support Oracle SPARC, x86 Blade and rack mount servers. Install/Troubleshoot/Replace hardware or firmware as necessary.
· Build the servers following the standard procedures and deliver them on time
· Work with users to troubleshoot and solve operational issues. Responsible for coordinating recovery in the event of system failure.
· Maintain Oracle Solaris and Red Hat Linux Server operating systems and all components/services including Authentication, DNS, File Systems, DHCP, PRINT SERVICES, FTP, TCP/IP and others.
· Responsible for maintaining and deploying security patches to the server environment by following standard patching methodology
· Monitor system logs, activity and performance on all servers daily.
· Utilize ticketing system to address and resolve customer work requests
· Provide operating system level support to application developers and performing server migrations into the new datacenters.
· Provide tuning, troubleshooting and analysis.
· Work with other ITSS groups, Division leads, consultants and other stakeholders to develop, test, and maintain procedures for Disaster Recovery (DR). Maintain technical DR readiness.
· Research new technologies and present recommendations/justifications on hardware and software purchases.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience required.
· Red Hat or Oracle Solaris or equivalent certification preferred.
· 3-5 years of experience in Red Hat Linux or Oracle Solaris required.
· VMware experience desired.
· Experience working in a large datacenter (200+ servers)
· Ability to work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
· Strong knowledge of enterprise production environment best practices and troubleshooting techniques.
· Familiarity with HP Service Manager is a plus.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Emerson - 12 months ago