Jewish Hospital Shelbyville (JHS)
was founded in 1906 by the King’s Daughters and Sons Organization and purchased by Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare in 1992. The hospital is a valuable, vital community resource to residents of Shelby, Henry, Spencer and eastern
Located just 30 minutes east of downtown
, Jewish Hospital Shelbyville provides a full range of comprehensive services from primary care to highly specialized treatment.
This position handles the collection of blood specimens to the Laboratory in a timely manner to ensure efficient, accurate laboratory testing and patient care. Specimen registration, result retrieval in computer, and the courteous interaction with house staff, other departments and services are also duties of this position.
- After receiving an order from the attending physician, and in a quick and efficient manner and by following established departmental policies and/or procedures and safe work practices pertaining to specimen collection, preparation and analysis, collect requested specimen(s) for analysis.
- Ensure proper labeling, documentation and transport of specimens to maintain specimen quality.
- Perform analytical testing using approved bedside testing equipment and procedures.
- Utilize the appropriate procedure, technique and material for each test ordered ensuring that laboratory forms are correctly completed and patients are properly identified.
- Clean and stock phlebotomy tray and work area.
- Comprehend and follow infection control and blood borne pathogen policies and procedures.
- Perform telecommunication activities to include reporting laboratory results, taking verbal orders, transferring calls, describing specimen collection protocols, esoteric test research, and troubleshooting issues.
- Follow all safety and emergency procedures and contribute to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
- Document corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the labortory's acceptable guidelines.
- Enter test results into the Laboratory Information System in order for standardized reports to be generated for physicians review and interpretation.
- Positively identify patient(s) or specimen(s) on which procedures are performed with 100% accuracy.
- Perform clerical duties which facilitate the flow of information through the laboratory and to the caregiver.
High school graduate or equivalent required.
Previous phlebotomy experience preferred.
Manual dexterity, communication.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, hospital values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times.
- Adheres to and exhibits Catholic Health Initiatives core values:
Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times.
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines.
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members.
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, visitors, staff and the broader health care community.
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
Catholic Health Initiatives - 22 months ago
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...