Tinker Air Force Base plays a key role in managing and maintaining the sophisticated weapon systems that keep America's air defenses strong. A highly skilled workforce of more than 24,000 civilians and military personnel work together to complete the Air Force mission. Whatever your background or expertise, you will find rewarding career opportunities at Tinker.
WHO MAY APPLY:
for more information. You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. **Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee - Must be Current, Permanent, Competitive Service, Career/Career-Conditional Employees
DoD Transfer (Army, Navy, DFAS, etc.) - Must be Current, Permanent, Competitive Service, Career/Career-Conditional Employees
You must be a United States citizen.
Travel and Relocation Expenses will not be paid.
Back to top
MAJOR JOB DUTIES:
Leads a crew of three or more firefighters, including at least one firefighter (GS-07 or military equivalent) assigned to man a major piece of motorized firefighting equipment such as a pumper, aerial ladder truck, or Airport Rescue Fire Fighting )ARFF) vehicle in firefighting and rescue operations.
Directs firefighting crew in the operation of firefighting vehicles and equipment.
Directs assigned crew in the performance of crash/rescue and firefighting duties at airfields handling complex (e.g., bombers, cargo, and passenger) aircraft; the performance of structural firefighting duties for a variety of facilities which may include research and/or large industrial complexes; and the performance of hazardous material (HAZMAT) containment and control and/or Basic Life Support duties.
Leads assigned crew and performs emergency rescue of personnel and a variety of first aid measures to alleviate further injury and prepare the victim(s) for medical transport to a medical facility.
Assigns crew members to perform maintenance of firefighting equipment and fire station facilities.
Complies with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work in a manner that enhances the safety of the work environment.
Back to top
At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-07) or equivalent. Specialized experience must include
answering questions of employees on procedures, policies, directives, available services, employee activities, etc., and obtaining directions from supervisor(s) on problems; assisting in training other firefighters on driving vehicles and operating equipment; performing firefighting duties at airfields handling aircraft carrying large volumes of fuel, conventional and sometimes nuclear weapons, or highly flammable or explosive cargo; frequently serving as the prime rescuer in rescue operations
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge to drive and operate firefighting vehicles of significant complexity; of the principles of hydraulics as they pertain to water flow, water pressure, water levels, line (friction) losses, etc.; and of basic and specialized firefighting equipment (fire alarm system operation, etc.), techniques, and procedures.
2. Knowledge of emergency first aid techniques; safety requirements as outlined in applicable safety standards, regulations, and/or technical orders; and HAZMAT emergency response procedures, equipment, and identification.
3. Knowledge of basic building design, construction, and occupancy; and of the latest changes in aircraft cockpit design, ordnance placement, and cabin layouts to include the operation of hatch or canopy release mechanisms, ejection seat mechanisms, and/or oxygen supply systems.
4. Skill in detecting and recognizing fire hazards (potential and immediate), and operating communications equipment.
5. Ability to maintain good working relations; communicate orally and in writing; and lift and carry heavy loads.
6. Ability to provide leadership and integrate the actions of a crew under emergency conditions.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY?
provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Employee must participate in mandatory physical fitness program and must comply with any current contractual evaluation agreement(s) per Command/Labor Agreement, Local Supplement Agreement, and by any Air Force Instructions or OSHA/NIOSH requirement.
2. Employee is required to use all safety equipment and clothing provided by management.
3. The employee is required to work a 72 hour work week on a 48 hour on, 72 hours off basis which includes weekends and holidays. May be subject to recall.
4. This is a Testing Designated Position. The employee is subject to random drug testing (IAW HQ-USAF letter dated 29 Jan 90).
5. This position requires the employee to work under adverse environmental conditions and falls under the respiratory protection program and hearing conservation program.
6. The work requires the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license is required. Must process and maintain licensure and annual certification P-22, P-24, P-28, P-27, P-18, P-23, TI-3000, P-34, P-21, and P-19 Striker.
7. Position requires the ability to discern colors, contrast, and depth.
8. Employee is required to be Department of Defense (DoD) certified Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Fire Officer I, Fire Instructor I, Fire Inspector I, Airport Firefighter, HAZMAT Awareness, HAZMAT Operations, HAZMAT Technician, Apparatus Driver/Operator-Pumper and Apparatus Driver/Operator-ARFF, Aerial vehicles, and Mobile Water Supply. Employee may be required to attend advanced-level training courses on-or off- duty station status, (under NFPA standards adopted by DoD).
9. This is a Key Position. Incumbents must be removed from their military recall status if alternatives for filling the position during an emergency is not available.
10. Special Retirement Provisions Authority: Special retirement coverage is pending. When approved, one of the following will apply:
- FERS: Position covered as rigorous under the FERS special retirement provisions for Federal firefighters [5 USC 8401(14), 5 USC 8412 (d), and 5 CFR 842.802]. Authority Pending.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- CSRS: Position covered as a primary position under the CSRS special retirement provisions for Federal firefighters [5 USC 8331 (21), 5 USC 8336(c), and 5 CFR 831.902]. Authority Pending.
BASIS OF RATING
You will be rated based on the extent to which your experience on your resume meets the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the position and rated as shown below.
Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the position.
Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum specialized experience requirements for the position.
Candidates in this category meet the minimum specialized experience requirements for the position.
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Applicants, who disqualify themselves, will not be evaluated further.
Back to top
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees:
Other Information regarding Citizenship, Priority Placement Registrants, Retired Civil Employees, Credit for Unpaid or Volunteer Experience, Veteran's Preference, Military Spouse Preference and Certain Military Spouse Eligibility (EO 13473), etc is available on our website at
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package
be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, January 10, 2013
To begin the process, click the
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, click
for the required cover page. This Vacancy ID is 818387. Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. OPM Form 1203-FX must be provided to show your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Click
for the OPM Form 1203-FX.
3. Fax all required documents to
. Your OPM Form 1203-FX will be the cover page for your fax transmission.
The numbering on the OPM Form 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire. Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire restarts with number one, so when entering your responses please continue regardless of number sequence. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their responses are transferred accurately.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been process by clicking
. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement.
resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and
- If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your
the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not
contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications. A list of required documents for all eligibilities may be located
SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
if qualifying based on education or positive education series
If you are faxing any documents, click
for the official cover sheet to print. The fax number is 478-757-3144
Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Tinker Air Force Base
3001 STAFF DRIVE
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...