This position is responsible for designing, supporting, engineering, maintaining and administrating servers running a VMware operating systems as server platforms.
- Bachelor degree in Information Technology (or related field) or equivalent work experience required
- ITIL certification desired
- 5+ years of VMware 3.x or higher system administration, VCP4 Certification required
- 5+ years of Microsoft Windows 2003/2008 server admin experience, MCSE desired
- 5+ years of experience with Red Hat Linux, CentOS or SuSe variations or RHCE desired
- VMWare Site Recovery Manager, VAAI or vStorage API experience desired
- 5+ years of production experience with VM server host clusters and fiber channel storage
- Experience with Active Directory/SQL Server/Exchange in a virtualized environment desired
- Hands on experience with VMware servers as part of disaster recovery solution desired
- Experience migrating VMware 4x servers to VSphere 5 upgrade desired
- Senior level application troubleshooting skills, ability to resolve complex problems
- Ability to identify, isolate and resolve production and non-production system problems, service requests and support processes
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, focused on documentation
- Ability to deal with stressors resulting from project deadlines and multi-tasked environment
- Technical leadership with a passion for accepting ownership of new technologies and problem solving
- Responsibility, accountability and credibility in all work and research assignments
The duties listed are representative of the job; however, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties a person may be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Assess system performance, capacity planning, design and VMware OS evolution and standardization, using ITIL and automation where possible
- Design, implement and support VMware production, development, test and DR environments
- Design, improve or implement monitoring and alerting of VMware systems
- Respond to customer service requests and provide production support coverage.
- 7X24 support to VMware servers on an on-call rotation
- Lead root cause analysis with incident and problem management for VMware systems
- Manage application and system infrastructure patch releases, including enhancements to current system functionality.
- Create, maintain and update platform documentation and standard operating procedures
- Work with cross functional IT groups and business to enhance core systems experience
- Participate in disaster recovery preparedness activities
- Work with and establish relationships with vendors of virtualization technologies
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
The primary subsidiary of Kansas City Southern (KCS), Kansas City Southern Railway (KCSR) transports freight over a network of more than...