Skills: High school education or equivalent. Six months medical clinical experience. Completes a basic clinical skills lab and Nursing Assistant training course. Must pass the Nurse Tech -Inpatient test with a score of 80% prior to hire. Must successfully complete competency verification before starting on assigned unit.
Knowledge: Requires knowledge of specific procedures, medical terminology, transcription of medical orders and electronic medical record system in terms of what is to be done and an understanding of how it is to be done. Knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of patients served and effective communication principles.
Abilities: Mental Power: Ability to exercise judgment in selection of the order of work assignments to meet clearly established schedules. Unusual cases or schedule changes are often referred to the immediate supervisor for resolution.
Mental Power: Ability to make routine decisions that usually have a limited number of solutions.
Physical Power: Walks, sits, stands in place, arm/wrist/hand movement, lifts.
Primary Job Functions
• Monitors, collects and records information in the patient record. Collects and records vital signs, weights, and other patient data. Transports patients and documents action in patient record.
• Participates in the nutritional well being of patients through tray delivery, assistance with patient set-up and feeding. Accurately records input and output.
• Assists with activities of daily living such as personal hygiene (shaving, mouth care, foot care, pericare and bathing), positioning and ambulation.
• Rounds on patients and families frequently to assess and address personal needs, concerns or comfort related issues. Reports information to responsible nurse for resolution when necessary.
• Inserts and removes gastric and urethral tubes. Performs enemas and disimpactions. Removes peripheral, intravenous therapy lines. Performs phlebotomy on certain units after specific training.
• Operates patient monitoring systems specific to unit needs (such as, cardiac and fetal heart monitoring). Performs bedside testing such as Oximetry, ECG, Glucometery, urinalysis and other tests.
• Performs wound care and dressing changes. Removes staples and sutures. Assists nurses and physicians with sterile procedures. Assist with application and removal of restraints under the direction of an RN.
• Applies oxygen delivery devices as ordered without altering settings or determining rates. Assists patients with portable or wall oxygen, and assures proper storage of E cylinders.
• Documents all care provided in the appropriate place in the patient record. Assembles patient charts. Posts laboratory and other results in patient chart. Uses the computerized documentation system at the skill level commensurate with the responsibilities included in this description.
• Delivers specimens to Laboratory, Microbiology and Pathology. Transports x-rays, blood products and equipment.
• Insures cleanliness of nutrition areas and general unit. Cleans and stores equipment. Empties trash, linen bags and sharps containers. Stocks medical supplies, linens and paper goods. Inventories equipment as required. Processes broken equipment as directed. Maintains equipment logs as required.
• Communicates information pertinent to the end of shift summation before leaving the unit.
• Performs other functions as required.
We are new Mexico's only private, not-for-profit healthcare system. Presbyterian is owned by the communities it serves and reinvests in care...