IFC Asset Management Company, LLC (AMC) is the fund management arm of International Finance Corporation (IFC). AMC was established in 2009 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of IFC to mobilize and manage third-party capital for investment in private enterprise in developing and frontier markets. It aims to enhance IFC’s development impact and financial sustainability, as well as generating attractive returns for its investors. AMC-managed funds are targeted at investors who are looking to increase their exposure to emerging markets and who are interested in accessing IFC’s transaction pipeline, investment approach and standards, global reach and track-record of superior returns. AMC currently has $4.5 billion under management in the following funds:
In addition, AMC is in the process of raising new funds and will manage these funds as well as raise and manage additional funds in the future, each with a focus on a particular sector, region or product.
- IFC African, Latin American and Caribbean Fund, which co-invests in IFC equity and equity related transactions in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean across a broad range of sectors
- IFC Capitalization Fund, which invests in the equity and subordinated debt of large domestic commercial banks in developing countries
- Africa Capitalization Fund, which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa
- IFC Russian Capitalization Fund which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in Russia
- IFC Catalyst Fund which makes fund and direct investments focused on resource efficiency in the emerging markets globally.
IFC’s investment departments support AMC by providing investment origination, execution and supervision services, while investment and portfolio decisions for funds under management are taken independently by AMC.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The IFC Catalyst Fund (Catalyst or the Fund) raises capital from a variety of public and private sources, to invest alongside IFC in (a) private equity funds focused on resource efficiency in emerging markets globally; and (b) direct co-investments originated by its investee funds. IFC’s operating departments will assist AMC in originating, executing and supervising the fund’s investments, but all investment and portfolio decisions will be taken entirely by AMC.
AMC is looking to hire an Associate for the Fund based in Washington, DC to focus on the development and execution of investments for the Fund in coordination with the IFC business development teams and regional offices. The Associate will report to the Fund Head and will be responsible for (i) working on AMC/IFC investment teams; (ii) working with the Fund Head and other AMC team members to structure, negotiate and monitor a solid and well balanced investment portfolio; (iii) assisting the team in supervising the ongoing performance of the fund’s portfolio companies; (iv) maintaining a good relationship with the Fund’s investors and with IFC investment teams and assist in providing timely delivery of information.
In particular, the Associate will:
The successful candidate is likely to have worked for a private equity firm, a fund of funds management company or an international financial institution or major bank with emerging markets presence. He/she will have a good understanding of and practical experience in private equity fund selection & evaluation, valuation, structuring, portfolio management and business strategy.
- Establish strong credibility with investee funds and companies, IFC staff and the Fund’s investors;
- Develop and track a pipeline of potential Fund investments in coordination with IFC’s business development teams and regional offices;
- Provide input for deal structuring and negotiation to AMC and IFC investment teams;
- Lead presentation of investment proposals to the Fund’s Investment Committee, articulating the detailed investment rationale and making concrete recommendations regarding proposed investments;
- Monitor portfolio funds and companies and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions including divestitures;
- Participate in fund raising activities both for the Fund and for other AMC-managed funds; and,
- Work closely with the Fund Head and AMC’s Chief Administrative Officer in implementing effective Fund administration, including investor liaison and reporting.
The successful candidate will possess: familiarity with international best market practices and global trends in the banking and private equity sectors; an understanding of diverse private equity fund issues and an ability to assess all aspects of a private equity fund’s operations; strong analytical skills, with experience in financial modeling; experience in structuring private equity deals, including an ability to mitigate risks and enhance returns; and expertise in negotiating complex deals more broadly.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
NOTE: The selected candidate will be employed directly by AMC, which is a distinct legal entity to IFC.
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
- M.B.A or equivalent degree;
- 3+ years relevant experience in financial institutions (private equity funds strongly preferred);
- Strong analytical and credit assessment skills, and sound knowledge of loan/investment documentation, accounting, financial statement analysis and financial modeling;
- Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and comercial skills;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences; fluency in other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Portuguese) would be a plus
- A willingness to travel frequently is required.
IFC Asset Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
IFC - 15 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....