The Financial Services Assurance Senior Manager is responsible for developing suggestions to improve client internal controls and accounting procedures as well as advising the client on various economic and regulatory risks in a specific industry field of expertise by identifying financial and non-financial performance measures, formulating and communicating the audit plan, answering complex questions involving GAAP and GAAS and composing technical consultation memos on engagements related to GAAP / GAAS issues. In this role, the Financial Services Assurance Senior Manager is charged with marketing, networking and business development within an area of expertise while maintaining key client relationships and acting as the primary contact for clients regarding complex questions and information. Additionally, the Financial Services Assurance Senior Manager is a critical part of the offices / region’s Assurance leadership team and will be involved in the direct supervision, problem resolution and delegation stages of the overall audit.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of the collective effect of various factors on establishing or enhancing effectiveness, or mitigating the risks, of specific policies and procedures.
- Applies an advanced understanding of objectives and components of the overall control environment and organization,
and supervisory controls
- Validates and assesses effectiveness of internal control over financial reporting
- Identifies and communicates to management and audit committee suggestions to improve client internal controls and
- Identify and delegates functions of the audit to the auditor in charge as deemed appropriate
- Supervise the work of audit team and review workpapers and conclusions preferably onsite during audit field work
- Provide on-the-job-training to the engagement staff during audit field work
Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of governing principles; applying these principles to client transactions; and documenting and communicating an understanding and application of these principles.
- Identifies and consults with clients on the impact of new accounting pronouncements
- Presents and discusses alternative application of generally accepted accounting principles and arguments for/against such alternatives
- Drafts complex financial statements and related footnote disclosures and effectively communicates these to client
- Identifies complex accounting issues and forms and documents resolution, seeking counsel of BDO technical experts as needed
SEC and PCAOB
Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of SEC regulations and PCAOB guidelines, and documents and communicates the application of these principles.
- Reviews SEC filings, including MD&A, financial statements and disclosures for appropriateness in form, content, completeness, and accuracy, and ensures that quarterly reviews are properly performed
- Reviews required communications to the client and Audit Committee, ensuring their completeness, accuracy and compliance with Firm and professional guidelines
- Reviews Section 404 internal control audit work to ensure their completeness and compliance with Firm and professional guidelines
- Ensures compliance with engagement independence requirements and consults internally as needed
Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of professional standards; application of the principles contained in professional standards; and the ability to document and communicate an understanding and application of professional standards on an engagement.
- Applies advanced knowledge of professional standards/practices, including GAAS and PCAOB in performing and supervising work
- Provides guidance to others and affirms conclusions made by others
- Communicates matters required to be reported to the Audit Committee/Board and those charged with governance
- Applies the use of efficiency tools such as statistical sampling, CAATS, etc.
Applies advanced knowledge and application of BDO standards, policies and technology that guide effective and efficient delivery of quality services and products.
- Conducts detailed review to assure audit is completed in accordance with assurance manual standards
- Prepares or reviews required communications to management and audit committees, ensuring timeliness and completeness
- Recommends appropriate outcomes to critical issues
- Initiates and prepares client acceptance/retention procedures where appropriate
- Plans the audit process and oversees the execution of procedures with quality, efficiency, and completeness despite pressures of deadlines
- Executes proper BDO methodology including but not limited to proper archiving procedures
- Considers Sarbanes-Oxley rules in understanding and executing service plans for combined 404 and financial statement audits for public clients
Applies methodology used to seek or maintain information from authoritative sources and to draw conclusions regarding a target issue based on that information.
- Defines methodology to conduct research projects and completes in a timely manner
- Applies advanced knowledge of all appropriate research tools and draws conclusions based upon appropriate research
- Prepares memo supporting research/conclusions and consults with others if appropriate
- Presents issues to RTD or concurring reviewer effectively and accurately
Other duties as required
- Sets the tone for teamwork by supporting others in their work and delivering on commitments made to the team members and clients
- Supervision of managers, associates and senior associates on all projects
- Review work prepared by managers, associates and senior associates and provide review comments
- Act as a Career Advisor to associates and senior associates
- Schedule and manage workload of associates and senior associates
- Provide verbal and written performance feedback to associates and senior associates
- Teach/coach managers, seniors and associates to provide on the job learning
External Job Description - Qualifications
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Accounting or equivalent
- MBA/Masters in Accountancy is a plus
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years prior work experience
- Prior significant supervisory experience
- Financial Services Industry experience
- Licensed CPA or international equivalent
- Experience in the use of various assurance applications and research tools as is appropriate for this level
- Microsoft Office Products, including Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Able to demonstrate strong leadership skills and be a role model to managers and staff
- Advanced GAAP and GAAS knowledge
- Sound working knowledge of SEC and PCAOB rules
- Possess proven excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possess excellent people development and delegation skills, including training/instruction and engagement scheduling and budgeting
- Possess executive presence - need to be able to be primary contact for the client, prepare and present presentations to clients and potential clients
- Possess excellent client development/relationship-building skills
- Possess excellent decision-making skills
- Able to substantially take charge of entire simple engagement
- Able to resolve complex accounting issues
- Able to be responsible for business development and marketing
- Has knowledge of and is able to promote the use of all BDO client service specialties/offerings, including BDO International and the BDO Alliance
- Able to be responsible for engagement profitability, including billings and collections, and maintaining engagement team focus on productivity and efficiency
BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of clients...