The Student National Medical Association (SNMA) is a nonprofit organization that is the nation's oldest and largest student organization focused on the needs and concerns of medical students of color. To this end, SNMA programs are designed to serve the health needs of underserved communities and communities of color. In addition, SNMA is dedicated both to ensuring that medical education and services are culturally sensitive to the needs of diverse populations and to increasing the number of African-American, Latino, and other students of color and entering and completing medical school. Since our founding in 1964, SNMA has grown to a membership of over 9,000 medical students, pre-medical students, residents and physicians.
The Executive Director serves as Chief Administrative & Operating Officer and works closely with the elected officers of the SNMA. As the chief administrative and operating officer, he/she is responsible for enforcing and implementing policies and procedures established by the Board of Directors (BOD).
- Oversees planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources where appropriate, establishing strategies to approach sources, submitting proposals and provide assistance in the administration fundraising records and documentation.
- Works closely with fiscal officers to maintain communication with accountants, investment advisors and bank representatives.
- Instrumental in the development of recommendation of an annual budget for BOD approval. Provides information and justifications for BOD in its budgetary review and approval process.
- Management of the organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current SNMA policies and federal and state laws and regulations.
o Ensures all Federal and District tax forms are filed in a timely and appropriate manner
Board of Directors Administration and Support
- Direct communication and cooperation with the Chairperson of the Board of Directors
- Supports operations and administration of the BOD via active engagement and dialogue.
- Ensures the short-term and long-term stability, planning, efficiency and development of the organization.
- Actively engages with the National Committees and Task Forces.
- Direct interaction and as necessary engagement with the organizations legal and financial consultants/contractors.
- Oversees the development and execution of short term and long term plan and the Annual Report.
Program, Product and Service Delivery
- Assists in the design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of SNMA programs, products, membership and services.
- Explores and pursues expansion and/or strengthening of the organization’s membership, programs, products, services and national visibility.
Community and Public Relations
- Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products, and service are consistently presented in a strong positive image to the community, medical schools, organizations, governmental agencies, and the media.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with regional decision-makers, public interest groups, businesses, community leaders, and the media, assuring that a consistent and technically accurate source of information is provided; responds to requests for information.
- Provides organization with experience and knowledge of the non-profit industry, the health care industry, community service, and advocacy.
- Oversees the overall management of the facilities of the organization and the day-to-day activities of the Headquarters .
Human Resource Management
- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to local, state and federal regulations.
- Maintain authority in conducting the management and administration of SNMA employees within the constraints imposed by the SNMA Constitution and prevailing BOD policies
- Oversees the selection, hiring, training and retention of staff.
- Assists biannual evaluation of all employees.
- Participates in biannual self evaluation.
- Develops and makes recommendations to the BOD which support staff development, motivational activities, and training.
1. A minimum of 5 years nonprofit work experience.
2. At least 3 years of demonstrated success in staff leadership, fundraising,
partnership development and financial management.
3. Demonstrated success of effectively leading change and organizational growth through strategic planning.
4. Demonstrated success in acquiring agency support through successful grant applications and general fund raising.
5. Strong fund development, marketing and public relations experience to
successfully engage stakeholders, including funders, business partners, policy makers, media and communities.
6. Strong and effective oral and written communication skills.
7. Personal qualities that include integrity, commitment to SNMA’s mission, respect for diversity and the ability to inspire and motivate.
8. Must be Microsoft Office proficient, i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
9. Able to travel for SNMA business such as conferences and contract negotiations
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience. SNMA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references by February 15, 2013.
The Student National Medical Association (SNMA) is a nonprofit organization that is the nation's oldest and largest student organization...