Senior VMWare System Engineer-INF0003148
The Senior Systems Engineer, VMWare will lead, design, engineer, build, test, and upgrade platform infrastructure; implement and maintain/support Enterprise virtualization platform; provide consulting services to clients across the Enterprise, with the ability to understand and assimilate complex cross-discipline, and cross-technology concepts and processes. This posting relates to a role that will be responsible for the design, engineering and management of processes that are the backbone for the enterprise server hosting infrastructure. Furthermore, this position plays an active role in providing technical leadership around the platform overall strategic roadmap, inclusive of capacity and architecture planning as well as performance assessment and analyses.
Desired Skills & Experience
The successful candidate must have 4-7 years of experience in VMWare infrastructure process. They must have the ability to assimilate industry trends and technology developments, and provide technical leadership within IT in keeping the General Motors VMware Infrastructure not only current but leading in the industry.
- Infrastructure Provisioning
- Reusable Frameworks
- Security Standards (SOX, PCI, etc…)
- Capacity and Performance Analysis
- Operational Tenets of VMware Infrastructure, e.g. vMotion, Physical to Virtual Migrations, etc.
- The Senior Systems Engineer, VMWare must have the ability to lead and provide direction to enterprise-wide implementations of these technologies:
- VMware vSphere 4.1, 5.0 and higher (ESX and ESXi)
- VMware vCenter 4.1, 5.0 and higher
- VMware CapacityIQ
- vCloud Director
- VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM)
- Storage Technologies (EMC, SAN, NAS, Replication and Backup)
- Networking Technologies – Cisco, F5, GSLB, Load Balancers
- Additionally, the candidate must have the ability to dive deeper into each of these technologies as it relates to the VMware infrastructure in support of advanced installation, configuration, and troubleshooting activities.
- Windows 2003, 2008, 2008R2, Cluster
- Linux – SUSE Enterprise Linux
- Oracle DBMS and Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Active Directory (LDAP technologies)
- .NET Framework
- Microsoft IIS
Additional responsibilities include:
- Support remote VMWare systems from centralize team.
- Ability to identify opportunities for automating and orchestrating the manual / time consuming redundant processes with the view to scale it for the enterprise needs.
- Ability to refine the architecture and workflows to tune to scale based on the enterprise needs.
- Ability to lead the implementation of programs, projects or technology implementation, providing technical leadership to a team, partnering with architecture services and other subject matter experts, engaging other technology teams (infrastructure partners), and working with key stakeholders and users.
- Ability to communicate to and manage a wide user base in providing information, providing education and managing expectations in the process of the overall management of the service.
- Ability and inclination of working with different users, teams or areas in providing customer service in the delivery of a large scale service.
- Ability to present and advocate enterprise standards, technology standards, environment policies, procedures, strategies and best practices in working with different users, teams and application areas.
- Ability to document and present standards, processes and guides.
- Ability to take part in a team that is responsible for 24X7 Support of the VMware Infrastructure that is achieved through a tiered structure of support as well as the incorporation of sourcing partners, both onshore and offshore.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent/experience is required.
- VM Certified Professional
Primary Location: US-MI-Detroit
Posting Date : Nov 20, 2012, 4:12:15 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
General Motors - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...